1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions sought

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by classic33, 24 Aug 2007.

1. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

What would be your reaction?

You are cycling at night along a road that you know. Approaching a junction where drivers will often cut across in front of you. From behind, to make the left hand turn. Whilst those coming out onto the main road, will often do so with little regard for you.
    There is the added distraction of a bus following you up the road, ready to take the left turn at the junction.

Don't want to say too much as this may yet go to court. Just seeing if anyone would do what I am told I did.

You have lights, front & rear, fitted & in use. Also toe straps in use on the pedals.

2. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Weeeeell.....hypothetically speaking I'd ride assertively, away from the side of the road and make it clear am heading straight on. How fast were you riding?

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Depending on how far it is from the left turn, I'd either:

If close enough, move to primary position, and put my foot down a bit (well, both feet, alternately;)) in order to get a move on, thereby hopefully discouraging the bus and following traffic behind from overtaking... All the while of course, checking for traffic pulling out from ahead, so covering my brakes.

If far enough away not to get left hooked, I might allow the bus to overtake by slowing up, if it was the only following traffic. But I'd have to be sure he had room to come by and turn, so on balance I'd tend towards primary position and get a move on.

4. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

definately primary position, as hugging the left hand kerb can make it almost impossible for people turning to see you if there are cars etc parked.

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Primary position.

Were you also turning left? If that's the case I'd leave the indication late. If you do it too early they'll try to nip past you.

6. OP
    OP
    classic33

My reaction, as given by the driver of the car that didn't bother stopping for me, even when on the bonnet, "I just stopped to let the bus go past".
    As far as I can tell, this puts me on the junction.
    Not something I would have done.

Forgot to mention that road is on a slight uphill incline. Speed at the time would have been around 14 mph. Same road travelled at other times.
    See- http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&m...27:-1.8575:13|halifax|Halifax, West Yorkshire

7. Desert Orchid

Desert Orchid Senior Member

My opinion,
    assume nothing, you have lights but it doesn't mean you will be seen, approaching a junction where you get cut up AND have cars pulling out sounds a situation where all my warning senses would be going and hands would be resting on the brakes ready.
    most probably not what you wanted to hear , but you did ask...

8. got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit New Member

Primary position

Assert yourself, you have just as much right to the road as any other vehicle, and should be treated as such by other traffic.

9. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Primary Position.

But if it's normal for such hazards to be present all the time I think I'd find another route.

10. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

I'd do something visceral involving lots of screaming and mess. Don't worry, you were right.

11. OP
    OP
    classic33

I asked with the intention of trying to find another cyclist who may be willing to do what the car driver said I did.
    So far there has been no-one saying they'd stop. Nice to know.

As for finding a different route, the alternates are just as bad. only longer.