Option B: winter wheels for hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Just thinking that an alternative option to buying a second-hand MTB might be an extra set of "winter" wheels and tyres for my Ridgeback Flight.

I'm presuming that there'll be enough clearance to fit some wider, knobblier (and possibly studded) tyres? Given how much a second set of wheels and tyres might cost is it a wise option, or am I better pursuing N+1..? I do want to go off-road (although nothing too extreme), and I'm not sure if the Ridgeback frame and lack of front suspension would cope too well with the bumpy stuff.

Thoughts please!

Wider tyres and no suspension will cope fine with a little off road. I've no idea how much clearance you've got though. You'll get a new set of wheels and tyres for less than N+1 unless you go 2nd hand or BSO but you might not even need new wheels just new tyres depending on your rim width (iirc google: sheldon internal rim width).

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Wider tyres and no suspension will cope fine with a little off road. I've no idea how much clearance you've got though. You'll get a new set of wheels and tyres for less than N+1 unless you go 2nd hand or BSO but you might not even need new wheels just new tyres depending on your rim width (iirc google: sheldon internal rim width).
There's a fair bit of clearance, but my rims are marked 14-622 (i.e. internal rim width of 14mm..?) and having checked Sheldon's recommendations, the originally supplied 28mm Continentals are the maximum recommended width, and I'm currently running 25mm Marathon+

I'm pretty sure that limits what tyres I could fit on the existing rims, so maybe second-hand N+1 is the best option after all, although if there's enough clearance, proper studded winter tyres (35s?) on a second set of rims might be worthwhile.

What would be most useful to know is – do I need studded winter tyres at all? Is it possible (or safe) to ride an MTB with knobbly tyres when there's a covering of snow? I ask as if I'm not actually going to be able to ride when there's a bit of snow about on knobblies, I'm going to have to budget for spiked tyres in my second-hand search.

PpPete

Legendary Member
You certainly wouldnt want to be riding studded tyres when there is no snow about...
Reviews of the Flight suggest very ample tyre clearances so my suggestion would be to get a second pair of wheels, something a little chunkier in the rims than you have now, with 36 spokes to cope with the rigours of off-road, and fitted with studded tyres in the winter - and cyclo-cross tyres for any summer off-road. Compensate for lack of front suspension by riding with your weight off the saddle, more on the pedals, and a gentle grip on the bars.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
You certainly wouldnt want to be riding studded tyres when there is no snow about...
Reviews of the Flight suggest very ample tyre clearances so my suggestion would be to get a second pair of wheels, something a little chunkier in the rims than you have now, with 36 spokes to cope with the rigours of off-road, and fitted with studded tyres in the winter - and cyclo-cross tyres for any summer off-road. Compensate for lack of front suspension by riding with your weight off the saddle, more on the pedals, and a gentle grip on the bars.
Thanks PpPete :thumbsup: – any suggestions as to where I should be looking for reasonable quality, and good value wheelsets?

What would be most useful to know is – do I need studded winter tyres at all? Is it possible (or safe) to ride an MTB with knobbly tyres when there's a covering of snow? I ask as if I'm not actually going to be able to ride when there's a bit of snow about on knobblies, I'm going to have to budget for spiked tyres in my second-hand search.
I've no experience of studded tyres but folk have been cycling in winter for hundred of years, just people are panicking a bit after a few bad years, with a little bit of common sense, lower psi, slowing down, leaning less, etc I'm pretty sure you don't.

Edit Planet X had some cheaper 700c cross wheels for a while.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I've no experience of studded tyres but folk have been cycling in winter for hundred of years, just people are panicking a bit after a few bad years, with a little bit of common sense, lower psi, slowing down, leaning less, etc I'm pretty sure you don't.
Good points... I simply don't know if I'll actually need studded tyres or not, so I think I'm going to concentrate on my original plan of picking up a good s/h hardtail MTB – it'll open up more weekend trail-riding possibilities than fatter knobblies on my rigid Flight ever will. Until I took ill, I was really enjoying commuting 5 days a week, but recently I really have been missing going off-road. Back to plan A :whistle:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
If budget allows I'd be looking at one of the wheelsets at the bottom of this page: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s178p0
Up to you whether you go for a really seriously heavy-duty rim like the Sputnik, or something lighter like the Snyper or LX17.
Thanks PpPete. Over budget I reckon, but I think I'm going to go back to Plan A anyway – a second hand hardtail for the winter (and summer evening/weekends) makes most sense.

Just thinking that an alternative option to buying a second-hand MTB might be an extra set of "winter" wheels and tyres for my Ridgeback Flight.

I'm presuming that there'll be enough clearance to fit some wider, knobblier (and possibly studded) tyres? Given how much a second set of wheels and tyres might cost is it a wise option, or am I better pursuing N+1..? I do want to go off-road (although nothing too extreme), and I'm not sure if the Ridgeback frame and lack of front suspension would cope too well with the bumpy stuff.

Thoughts please!

26 * 1.6 at front, semi slick
26 * 1.75 at rear, slightly less semi slick

Thats my choice year round or has been the last 2 on my full rigid, have found it to be more than adequate and only occasional ice patches have troubled me. For the week/2weeks tops of cycling in heavy snow I found the tips above e.g. slower, more care, lower psi etc to be enough and not to need to buy different tyres

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
26 * 1.6 at front, semi slick
26 * 1.75 at rear, slightly less semi slick

Thats my choice year round or has been the last 2 on my full rigid, have found it to be more than adequate and only occasional ice patches have troubled me. For the week/2weeks tops of cycling in heavy snow I found the tips above e.g. slower, more care, lower psi etc to be enough and not to need to buy different tyres
Thanks WD – definitely going to go with plan A, and see how I get on with those occasional ice patches :thumbsup:

Thanks WD – definitely going to go with plan A, and see how I get on with those occasional ice patches :thumbsup:

If I'm back on here in a weeks time complaining of a broken arm/nose/face after coming off, I reserve the right to say I was wrong lol! :laugh:

No worries, I think studs are great for those of us of have to negotiate genuine winter conditions, the rest of us who have a few weeks tops of snow/ice are better of being careful on 'general' tyres^_^

VamP

Banned
I am not bothering with studded.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way around though. What a great opportunity to get some bling fast wheels for summer use, and retire your current set for winter use!

Well, that's what I did :biggrin:

I am not bothering with studded.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way around though. What a great opportunity to get some bling fast wheels for summer use, and retire your current set for winter use!

Well, that's what I did :biggrin:

Or.....

Upgrade to this (I am!) in January and start setting some new smokin hot records for me commute lol! ^_^

m11897_marinbelvedere2011.jpg

Top Bottom