Options for a Sub £650 Hybrid Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Personally, looking at the frame geometry and very long wheelbase of that, I would expect it to handle like an old school heavy roadster on 28" wheels - that is to say nice and relaxed in a straight line but isn't keen on changing direction!
The fork will absorb energy which means you have to work harder to overcome the losses. Weight is par for the course. Wheelbase way too long to be nimble. Not the sort of bike I would choose.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Can't speak for the FS Whytes (or any FS bike, come to think about it!) but the rigid fork Whytes are pretty nimble (we have a Carnaby and a Cambridge)

These have a 67 1/2 degree head angle, pretty much the same as 3-speed roadsters from nearly a hundred years ago. The wheelbase of the L size is 1,180mm or 46 1/2",which makes for a bike around 6' 2" -6 3" long. A conventional hybrid or tourer in a large frame size is normally around 5' 9" long! A rigid 26" wheel MTB in a large size is rarely longer than 5' 8" overall.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
These have a 67 1/2 degree head angle, pretty much the same as 3-speed roadsters from nearly a hundred years ago. The wheelbase of the L size is 1,180mm or 46 1/2",which makes for a bike around 6' 2" -6 3" long. A conventional hybrid or tourer in a large frame size is normally around 5' 9" long! A rigid 26" wheel MTB in a large size is rarely longer than 5' 8" overall.
I speak as I ride ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I speak as I ride ^_^

So do I, and the sweet spot in wheelbase for good straight line and bumpy surface stability combined with reasonable agility when maneuvering seems to be between about 40 1/2" and 42 1/2", at least in the sort of adult size frames I ride. Shorter seems twitchy and any longer unwieldy and ponderous.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
So do I, and the sweet spot in wheelbase for good straight line and bumpy surface stability combined with reasonable agility when maneuvering seems to be between about 40 1/2" and 42 1/2", at least in the sort of adult size frames I ride. Shorter seems twitchy and any longer unwieldy and ponderous.
You have ridden them to validate that, haven't you - the Whytes, that is?

OP
OP
Q

QUIK

Regular
So having put the feeler out to some retailers, one local one to me has come back to me with a GIANT Escape Disc 2 in Gloss Charcoal in Large size coming in over next couple of days.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/escape-2-disc-2021
I was considering Whytes, Specialized models, but theres no real ETA in size or colour I want.
So for £525 I think there all much the same, but the retailer did say he can supply and fit some thicker 43-45mm tyres which will give that Specialized Sirrus X look.
Can anyone recommend some good tubeless all rounder road/gravel tyres that are available in the 43, 45mm size

OP
OP
Q

QUIK

Regular
Oh and did think about holding out for the GIANT Roam 2 Disc version which looks good,.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdZAptODGik&t=120s

but not convinced on the suspension fork and felt that it would make sense to save on weight and put the money into better thicker tyres and seat, ie: the contact points.

Gunk

Guru
For me head says Boardman, heart says Sirrus.

you don’t get much for £500 these days, the spec is pretty miserly on both.

Top Bottom