Orange Speedwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
Anyone have one? I’m looking for a fast hybrid and the Speedwork looks very tasty.

But I haven’t found anywhere that has one in stock, I’m in London this week and none of the London stockists have one.

I was looking at getting the carbon Specialized Sirrus to fullfill my need for a lightweight bike that I can use without full MAMIL kit, rather flat pedals and suitable trouser for local trips.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If you’re confident with the size you require you could get it online here for £890 using code SAVE10.
https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/in...OqZRRbHXUzX_mFQDPyYpqInGsI20gVSEODxoCBpbw_wcB

Venod

Eh up
Was just about to post that link, I like the look of this ideal for trails and a bit of light off road, as well as the road.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Spiderweb, that’s VERY tempting, need to find the tape measure.

Vickster, I looked at the Stirling but the gearing is too high for my old legs. I’m going to look at a Portobello as I reckon it should be easy to fit a smaller chainring seeing as it’s a single.

vickster

Legendary Member
Spiderweb, that’s VERY tempting, need to find the tape measure.

Vickster, I looked at the Stirling but the gearing is too high for my old legs. I’m going to look at a Portobello as I reckon it should be easy to fit a smaller chainring seeing as it’s a single.
It’s got very generous gearing surely?
50/34 and 11-32

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you considered electric?

What gearing do you have on current bikes?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Yes, it’s expensive, but I have told Whyte are bringing out a new system developed in Cambridge that is light and removable.

My Genesis CdF is 50/34 by 11-32.

Still waiting to hear if anyone has an Orange Speedworks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, it’s expensive, but I have told Whyte are bringing out a new system developed in Cambridge that is light and removable.

My Genesis CdF is 50/34 by 11-32.

Still waiting to hear if anyone has an Orange Speedworks!
So is the CdF gearing not to your liking bearing in mind the Sterling is the same on a rather lighter bike?
Anything come up through the search function on the Orange? Don’t recall any mentions

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
I’m not sure what my bike weighs as it has mud guards, etc. Subjectively I feel the Stirling would be similar to the CdF and the Portobello an easier ride, of course that is unproven and I would need to test both for some time before actually knowing.

I can’t find any mention of the Speedworks in CC, and no reviews online. In Singletrack someone asked the same question as me and didn’t get a reply, that was a year ago.

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn’t the Stirling about 9kg (certainly used to be) and a CdF 12ish unladen? Seems a big difference to me. You should be able to find a Whyte to try in London although it’s mostly flat of course (Cyclesurgery stock the brand, Spitalfields apparently have a medium or large Portobello and Stirling in stock, guessing at size needed obviously)

I had a double Portobello for a bit and a Cambridge in the past, the latter quicker and lighter. The Stirling would be more so

Last edited:
OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Thanks for all the info, Vickster, I’m sure you’re correct on the weight of my bike. I’m on my way back to Glasgow and will find a local Whyte stockist with both the Portobello and Stirling to see and try.

The big advantage of either is they are cheaper than the Speedworks.

The Orange seems unavailable, although I’m waiting for there reply. I’m reluctant to buy a bike online without seeing and trying as it is so subjective.

Top Bottom