order of shimano items, and these shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jon l

They might be ok with 8 speed, I am currently using 9spd XT STI shifters and mechs with a 7 speed cassette. Works fine, shifts every time, just got 2 spare clicks at the low end.

Must admit I expected problems, but tried it and its fine, so I'll keep it till the hubs gone I guess.

As Mickle said, you need to run shifters, cassette, chain which match - all 10sp, or all 9sp, or all 8sp - to get decent shifting.
Front derailleurs matter less, rears even less so - a 9sp mech will work with 8sp shifters&cassette and vv for example.

Can't mix Shimano with Campag either, although a combination of 10sp Campag shifters with 8sp Shimano cassette works fine, with two redundant clicks

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3945

OP
OP
B

bonj2

andy_wrx said:
Can't mix Shimano with Campag either, although a combination of 10sp Campag shifters with 8sp Shimano cassette works fine, with two redundant clicks

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3945

ah interesting, so can you use this 10sp campag shifters/8sp shimano cassette combination with a shimano mech?

just to update on the progress of my shifters, they didn't arrive. Phoned number1bikebits and they answered and said they'd put a trace on the parcel, phoned the next day and they said it was probably lost as it hadn't logged a trace since leaving nantwich or something so had probably got lost :biggrin: but thankfully he said he had sent it insured so would refund me which he did :biggrin: so i would consider him a reputable seller.

alfablue

bonj said:
ah interesting, so can you use this 10sp campag shifters/8sp shimano cassette combination with a shimano mech?

just to update on the progress of my shifters, they didn't arrive. Phoned number1bikebits and they answered and said they'd put a trace on the parcel, phoned the next day and they said it was probably lost as it hadn't logged a trace since leaving nantwich or something so had probably got lost :biggrin: but thankfully he said he had sent it insured so would refund me which he did :biggrin: so i would consider him a reputable seller.
Easily convinced!!!

alfablue

hopefully he has improved his manners since the feedback he left for someone just 13 days ago
SEEMS TO UNDERSTAND ENGLISH NOW! SHAME IT WASNT AS GOOD WHEN IT CAME TO PAYING
or 15 days ago
I WILL BE HAVING MY NEGATIVE REMOVED IN THE MORNING! SHAME YOU CANT DO THE SAME

Pulled his act together (all of a sudden) versus Bonj had a lucky escape....er, I reckon the latter, but maybe I am naive / cynic!

OP
OP
B

bonj2

alfablue said:
hopefully he has improved his manners since the feedback he left for someone just 13 days ago
or 15 days ago

Pulled his act together (all of a sudden) versus Bonj had a lucky escape....er, I reckon the latter, but maybe I am naive / cynic!
well, maybe I was lucky. Maybe he was in a rare good mood. But I don't see the point in not giving him another chance if he's got the item i want, for the price I want - since paypal will give you your money back if you don't get what you paid for.

andy_wrx said:
Have you actually got your refund, or just had them say they'll give you a refund ?

Google 'Dave Hinde Trading Standards' and see what you find...

He said he'd give me a refund on the phone and actually did give me a refund. He did it there and then while I was on the phone and when I checked paypal a few minutes later the refund was there. Turns out it was for the best, actually:

I had a little shopping spree today, and bought myself all the items I need for my drop bar conversion as a christmas present to myself.
I got all of this:
Shimano 105 9 speed/triple shifters
CARBON/aluminium handlebars
Inner and outer brake and gear cables + ferrules
11-23 ULTEGRA cassette
9 speed chain
Bontrager bar tape
for - guess how much....(scroll down)

£135! :smile:
I think the shifters were ex-display, he said i could have them for £40 :laugh: :laugh:
it was definitely one of those get-'em-paid-for-and-bugger-off-before -he-changes-his-mind moments...

Top Bottom