Ordnance survey map route planning GPX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Hi all,
I use a Garmin edge 130. Usually the garmin software that uses google maps is fine. However I am trying to plan a more complex partly off road route for an upcoming trip to Brecon. I would like to use Ordnance survey mapping and create a GPX file.
I am looking at something called GPS training: https://gpstraining.co.uk/pages/ordnance-survey-route-planner
Seems ok but have not downloaded to my device yet. Thing is it does not follow the actual line of roads as you plan so I am wondering how well it would/would not work as a result of this.
Any experiences welcome.

Not an expert but does Garmin really use Google maps? :ohmy:

https://cycle.travel/ will let you use OS maps ( and similar abroad).
However, you do need to be a subscriber.
Even in"free" mode there is a wide variety of maps to choose from.

Never used the site you mention. Why not fire off an email and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth?

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Not an expert but does Garmin really use Google maps? :ohmy:

https://cycle.travel/ will let you use OS maps ( and similar abroad).
However, you do need to be a subscriber.
Even in"free" mode there is a wide variety of maps to choose from.

Never used the site you mention. Why not fire off an email and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth?
Yes they use Google or "here" maps for planning, fine for the majority of road routes, less so for anything more remote.
I may have found what I am after in explore.osmaps.com you need to subscribe to get snap to route planning but its decent value and there is a free trial option.

......having something that would plan against OS maps would be great. (And if it also allowed you to drop into Streetview ... that would be ideal!)
Cycle.travel.
(For OS maps you'll need a modest subscription.)
Street view is just a click of a button - assuming Google have actually got it.
I have the idea that the OP is looking at places where no streetview exists

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I've had a look around at your suggestions and pretty much concluded that explore.osmaps.com is the one that gives enough detail for very minor tracks etc. It will snap to route as well but not always at the most detailed map level but this still works fine.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Just to give you another option plotaroute (https://www.plotaroute.com/routeplanner) also has an OS Maps option @ 1:25000 scale, although only available through the 'paid for' version @ £18 per year. There's also other maps available and the course creation follows the road, track or path depending on your choice, this also works with the OS map. Also at any point on the road you can get a Google streetview which I find very useful.

I use it create all my routes and then export them to my Garmin 130 either through Garmin Connect or directly as a .fit file via USB which allows turn-by-turn navigation. You can also configure plotaroute to send your course directly to your Garmin through the Garmin Connect app should you wish to do so, I usually use the direct USB method as I find it less faff!

Not relevant to the OP but cycle.travel has expanded its map base for France, Switzerland, Austria & Spain.

• France: Supporters can now use IGN ‘Classic’ maps – superb detailed cartography at up to 1:25,000 scale (TOP25). This joins the existing IGN Digital mapping.
  • Switzerland: Swisstopo mapping is clean-looking and remarkably detailed – it even marks individual trees!
  • Austria: basemap.at mapping has really detailed hill shading and even house numbers when you zoom in.
  • Spain: Spain’s national mapping agency is also called IGN and has classic hand-drawn maps. Although not always as up-to-date as the OpenStreetMap data which cycle.travel uses by default, it’s invaluable for local farm/hamlet names and natural features.
All of these are available to cycle.travel supporters in the route-planner – just use the pop-up base map switcher at the top right.

Top Bottom