Ordnance Survey maps...Grrrr!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Davidc said:
I wish they still did the cloth reinforced ones that we used to get in the 60s and 70s. It stopped them falling apart quite as quickly as the paper ones do.
At risk of incurring further porky pete wrath (because they are even harder to fold) they do Active versions of the Explorer series and a few of the Landranger series too. They work pretty well for durability.

Arch

Married to Night Train
They should print them on silk, that would roll up really nice and small..

I love Landrangers. I also take the cover off.

My Mum worked for the OS for a while, drawing. Apparently for security reasons they didn't label gasworks. They just drew a series of large circular objects at the end of a gas pipeline....:smile:

I think the only way they could make the Landranger better would be to print two per sheet, one front, one back...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Globalti said:
Britain is the best-mapped country in the world, we are lucky to have such fantastic maps.
I agree. My experience of trying to buy a decent map of Corfu confirmed that. A shopkeeper tried selling me a map that not only did not have the road that we were standing on marked, it didn't have the village either!

Globalti said:
I can't understand why anybody other than a delivery driver would want to use a crap nav.
You're really not trying hard enough!

Your exciting new route round the Cheshire lanes has over 150 junctions on it. Do you really want to stop and look at your map 150 times? (That was the case for a '200' I did. The audax route sheet was very detailed and clear but you only needed to have a 2% error rate to get lost 3 times and many riders did just that! I used my 'crap nav' and got on with enjoying the ride.)

It's windy - do you really want to be chasing your Landranger map across the field?

It's raining - do you really want your lovely map to get wet? (Okay you can buy expensive laminated maps, or map holders but then you'd have to keep taking your maps out and refolding them.)

I love OS mapping so I have plenty of the paper maps. I also have the entire UK covered by OS 1:50,000 'Landranger' digital maps for my Memory Map software. I do my map reading for a ride at home where it is warm, dry, not windy, and I'm not hurtling down a 40 mph descent in traffic. I then program the route data into my GPS and use that to navigate by - it's the best of both worlds.

I admit that I wouldn't like a device telling me which way to go if I hadn't first told it which way I wanted to go! :smile:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Chrisz said:
Anyone else on here tried Fugawi? OS map of whole sections of the country on CD (I got the South) - an excellent resource for planning walking trips, navigating etc. I 'think' there is a way of hooking it up to a GPS receiver and using your laptop as a SatNav/Tracker too - never tried it myself though.

No I have not.

Strange that it is named after an obscure primitive tribe who would not need maps. You have pm.

Chrisz

Über Member
Image1.jpg

Just in case you thought the name was a joke :smile:

Norm

Chrisz said:
Anyone else on here tried Fugawi? OS map of whole sections of the country on CD (I got the South) - an excellent resource for planning walking trips, navigating etc. I 'think' there is a way of hooking it up to a GPS receiver and using your laptop as a SatNav/Tracker too - never tried it myself though.
But at USD340 for the country, that's a lot of money. Isn't it?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Chrisz said:
Anyone else on here tried Fugawi?

Is that as in "Where the fugawi?" (joke I first heard from my uncle in Dublin in about 1973) :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Haven't Ordnanace Survey recently made all their mapping information freely available, all except the paper based OS Maps which they are retaining so they can charge for them "for the benefit of the nation"?

I must admit I love looking at maps but none less so than an OS map. There's something special about them IMHO.

Top Bottom