Organised rides for Over 60s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
joesoap

joesoap

Regular
I'm glad it worked out for you but 25 miles is quite a distance for a beginners' ride so well done. As I've never done Sky rides before this weekend I'm still finding things out but I gather that they're keen to get you to join a group or organise your own rides using other Sky registered riders. Somewhere on their website there's a ''group finder''.
That's the fist that I have heard of this. Joining a club or organising my own rides was never mentioned.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
No, I think it's just a zealot organiser thing. I'd be worried that they have no clue about safety if they enforce such an obnoxious rule and look for a better group.
Quite possibly. I just looked at skyride's T&Cs and there are some ''musts'' but the helmet thing is a recommendation. There may be some discretion allowed to the ride leaders - a sort of ''leader's decision is final'' kind of thing - but it shouldn't be a condition of eligibility. That way lies ''post code helmetry'' - certainly the guys doing the Greenwich rides allow helmet free participants (and when asked one to one prefer and practice helmet free riding).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I just signed into the skyride website. It's worth looking around on it. Have a look at your dashboard. There are even ''nearest buddy matches'' near the foot of the page.
It's nowhere near as slick as CycleChat but it has some interesting features and is worth a try, but don't be surprised if people are a bit slow to respond because its email notifications are rather slow and intermittent too.

I'm sixty three in a few days and through regular cycling i have never felt fitter.
Usually do about three thirty mile +rides midweek and 50 milers weekends averaging 16-17mph also do a few sportives through the year including this years london-surrey 100.
I'm not saying this to be big headed because i know i am just an average recreational rider and there are lots of people the same age or older than me who are a lot faster and cover more distance but it's just the stereotyping that gets me.It's as though as soon as you reach that number sixty you should be going to the local tea dance or darby and joan club.

Rant over :cursing:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Usually do about three thirty mile +rides midweek and 50 milers weekends averaging 16-17mph [...] i know i am just an average recreational rider
I'm pretty sure that's faster than average recreational riders, whatever age. Even among Stravaists, who I suspect tend to be faster, "Average speed of rides were 23kmh (14.29mph) for men and 20kmh (12.43mph) for women" says http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...paint-picture-british-cyclists-compare-151542 - it's a rare ride of mine that gets near their average for men!

I agree that age isn't necessarily a barrier to speed or fairly long distances, though.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Thanks screenman. I'll have to do a bit of searching on google. If over 60 is young in cycling terms what would you consider to be Old in cycling terms?
Got a couple of 76 year olds come along every now and then,They are never the last ones up the hill. You are a few years behind me.:okay:

I had the honour of knowing one gentleman called Ron Beams

A true cyclist, advocate and role mode, as well as a pioneer of HPVs

He was still cycling until he died shortly before his Century

His "Club" the "Midweek Wayfarers"had several nonogenerians' a smattering of octogenarians and a few young whippersnappers in their 70s

DaveGM

@joesoap
Does anyone know of a club in the Preston, Lancs area that organises casual/social rides of about 20km for over 60s?

I am 64 and relatively new to cycling having started last year. I have been on one guided Sky ride - 15 miles around the northern part of Liverpool. Quite easy and certainly not too fast. It was one of their "steady" rides.

I also recently joined the Skyride Social group West Lancs Friendly Cyclists Weekday Riders. I went on a "steady" ride with them of just 10 miles on Monday - around Crosby and Hightown. Very friendly bunch and quite a few of them about my age!! The pace was again pretty easy so I have booked on a more challenging 29 mile ride with them in a weeks time - hope I can make it!

Anyway check them out. the rides are from various starting points in the region. I am from Southport.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am waiting for Jannies dad to pack it in. He is 83 and rides his lovely Nishinki Trim Master every week in the summer. 50km rides are a doddle for him. The bike is from the 70s and is like new. I thought I had a chance when he cut his middle finger off with a circular saw a couple of months ago, but he was riding last week. Hes a tough bugger.

Top Bottom