Ortlieb pannier bags..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve got some unused bikepacker plus in a drawer…been there for a number of years…really should use or sell :rolleyes:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all - I think this thread has made the decision a lot easier!

I probably still need to familise myself with the range, but the back roller looks good; 20 litres each side while I ahve a 35l rucksack that just about does an average shop.. so 40 litres total should be grand.

I guess now it's just a question of colour; orange would probably look great on the (green and slightly orange) Fuji but, stomach-churning on the burgundy Routier should I ever have cause to use them on that. Looks like it'll probably be black or charcoal then :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ortleib are great panniers. I have 2 sets brand new and never use them. I use Biltema panniers. Its sort of a Danish Halfords but a lot more. I have used the same panniers almost every day for 4 years. They are still perfect and cost less than half of Ortleibs. Unfortunately they do not have mail order.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I concur with all the positive comments re Ortlieb panniers on here.
I have done several tours in France with mine, front and rear, and they have been 100% waterproof, and carry loads more than I need (not sure that's such a good thing though; as I puff and wheeze up another hill).
Another point to make is the quality and adjustability of the clips that attach them to the racks. I like to be confident when I set off on a trip that the clips are not going to let me down, and so far they have been utterly reliable. Even after an exhaustion related off after colliding with a French roundabout! Bike on it's side, panniers and mountings intact; bar a few scratches on the panniers.
Carradice for saddlebags, but Ortlieb for panniers.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Had my Back Roller City set for seven years. They were a bargain (thanks to a Wiggle voucher) but would have been well worth full price. Multiple tours & many, many days/nights out, without bother. One of them now has a small hole thanks to hitting tarmac in London on Saturday (the pannier, not me or the bike, I hasten to add). Price for the repair? £15. Yes, I'll be taking them up on that.

I'm considering a pair of Back Roller Classic 2.1s as they seem to be the most popular / appropriate.
As far as I understand it, the 2.1 (and other numbers) refers to the fastening system.
I have two set of Ortliebs, the older Classics with the older fastening system and a newer set with a newer fastening system. Both work fine.

However, the newer set used a different material not the heavy duty plastic/PVC of the classics and is nowhere near as robust as the originals nor as waterproof.

I don't use the inserts that Ortlieb supply to accommodate different rack diameters preferring to use hose on the rack. It gives a better contact and means I can easily swap panniers to different racks/bikes.

For heavy duty use it is worth considering replacing the bolts & caps Ortlieb use with metal or alternatively keep a good eye that the fastenings (bag to fastening system) doesn't come loose. I stress that's for heavy duty use.

Great bags, very versatile and repairable if the worst comes to the worst.

As for colour? Whatever is the cheapest ^_^

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As far as I understand it, the 2.1 (and other numbers) refers to the fastening system.
I have two set of Ortliebs, the older Classics with the older fastening system and a newer set with a newer fastening system. Both work fine.

However, the newer set used a different material not the heavy duty plastic/PVC of the classics and is nowhere near as robust as the originals nor as waterproof.

I don't use the inserts that Ortlieb supply to accommodate different rack diameters preferring to use hose on the rack. It gives a better contact and means I can easily swap panniers to different racks/bikes.

For heavy duty use it is worth considering replacing the bolts & caps Ortlieb use with metal or alternatively keep a good eye that the fastenings (bag to fastening system) doesn't come loose. I stress that's for heavy duty use.

Great bags, very versatile and repairable if the worst comes to the worst.

As for colour? Whatever is the cheapest ^_^

Thanks and yes - it appears that the 2.1 fastening system appears to have superceded the original, while the 3.1 is different; intended for more urban environments, requires a propriatory mounting system on the rack and is a fair bit more expensive.. so I'm happy with 2.1.

I was looking at Classics but I'm not sure what the difference is between them and some of the others so more research is required on that front! I'm also not 100% sure on pricing as some bags seem to be sold individually, some as pairs - on the face of it the Classics seem to be priced in pairs at a shade north of £100. I hope it's for a pair anyway!

Thanks for the tips on rack fitment and fasteners - re. the latter I have a good stash of stainless fixings and am pretty hot on replacing stuff like this with better alternatives so will bear that in mind when I have them.

It's really bloody frustrating currently - I need shopping, am achieving nothing sat in the house and would be very happy to go out on a utility ride; however am hamstrung by the lack of storage space. I'm still waiting for a supplier to get back to me re. mudguards, once they're sorted I can then fit the rack and finally get the bags on.. although I'm also having saddle issues and fap knows when that'll be resolved :rolleyes:

At least I can feel fairly confident of which direction I'm going when I can eventually hang some bags off the bike :smile:

Top Bottom