Ortlieb pannier bags..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
With the Fuji sort-of-threatening to provide a decent utulity platform I've touched the bewildering task of looking at pannier bags.

The defacto name seems to be Ortlieb, and since I've become aware of the brand it seems I can barely look at a cyclist without seeing one of the German company's products hanging off them somewhere.

I'm considering a pair of Back Roller Classic 2.1s as they seem to be the most popular / appropriate.

Before I commit I'm keen to know the CC hive mind's experience of these bags please, and whether there's any alternatives I should be considering.

Ta :smile:

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Ortlieb are the go to choice for a good reason, they not only work but they are also really well made and last for years. I've started to become much more aware of my cycling choices and sustainability. Ortlieb, are one company who operate a really good reapir service as well as a good range of spares, they'll also take back and reapir old bags, keeping them going for years.

I can't comment on the specific bags your looking at, but as a brand, I've got several Ortlieb products and have nothing but positive experiences.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Ortlieb are the go to choice for a good reason, they not only work but they are also really well made and last for years. I've started to become much more aware of my cycling choices and sustainability. Ortlieb, are one company who operate a really good reapir service as well as a good range of spares, they'll also take back and reapir old bags, keeping them going for years.

I can't comment on the specific bags your looking at, but as a brand, I've got several Ortlieb products and have nothing but positive experiences.

Thanks - can't say fairer than that and given all the enviable content you post to the forum I certainly trust and value your opinion :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
You could look at other options from Spacycles eg Carradice , Vaude seem to be similar to Ortlieb as an alternative. They sell Ortlieb too (and do have some discounts)

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I love my Carradice panniers, saddlebag and bar bag. Tough as old boots and practical.

They also suit my old greybeard tourer image ( in my mind).^_^

You could look at other options from Spacycles eg Carradice , Vaude seem to be similar to Ortlieb as an alternative. They sell Ortlieb too (and do have some discounts)

Thanks both - I'd looked at Carradice as I like the vintage aesthetic, however was put off by the lack of information on their site and a few squiffy reviews. Likewise Vaude appear a bit more expensive and didn't seem to rate as highly as Ortlieb from some of the sources I looked at, but then of course who knows how much credibility these sites have.

Will take a look at Spa as they seem to be well-regarded for touring stuff :smile:

BurningLegs

Veteran
I have the Ortlieb back roller classic 2.1 in black and would say that they're superbly robust, completely waterproof (during a 30 minute commute), and very large (deceptively so - you can pack a lot into them)! I think I've had them for about five or six years and there is basically no sign of wear and tear anywhere on them.

If I was buying again I would probably get a front roller for commuting use - I travel with a laptop, some lunch, a change of clothes, washbag, and a few basic tools/spares. The back roller is superb, I just don't really need that amount of space for commuting!

gom

Über Member
I’ve cycle-toured in rain all day (~9am to ~5pm) with Ortlieb front and rear rollers and found them to be completely waterproof.
My experience with Carradice Super C (now 20 years out of date) is that although they keep out rain from above - stuff packed at the top is dry - after a bad day there is a small pool of water inside at the bottom. Spray from the tyres?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have the Back Roller City. The same capacity but significantly cheaper for just the loss of a shoulder strap that I would never use anyway.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Ortlieb bikepacker here. Bought 2004 used for tours most years, supermarket runs and near daily commutes. Still going strong, a cupboard full of carradice for most other eventualities.

Sallar55

Veteran
Bought a set at York Rally 1998, still got them. The newer versions are lighter and just as good as the originals, are adjustable for most racks. Another plus is spares are avaliable and you can fix holes with a sticky patch. No more needle, thread and fabric.

I have used Carradice Super C rear and Ortleib front for long distance touring and years if commuting.
The Carradice were tough but eventually wore out after 15 years. The repairs on repairs would not hold. Must be used with dry bags.
Ortleib is approaching 12 years old and starting to wear out but not yet. Good for spills of food. Useful washing bowl in camp. Rolltop has good expansion for overloading.
Both have sound hardware. On balance I prefer Ortleib. Mine are black and white colour which looks cool has good visibility and you can see inside. Germans always do monochrome better than mishmash of colours.

Top Bottom