Ortliebs - back roller classic or city?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
My birthday is coming up and my other half has very bought me a set of Panniers (back roller classics). This is my first set, and I'm really impressed with the legendary build quality.

They're a lot larger than the cheap Lidl panniers I have at the moment - I don't think I need a set quite as large as this! I was looking around to see if Ortlieb do a slightly smaller set, and I found the City roller.

Am I right in thinking that the only differences between these is that the classic has an internal pocket, a shoulder strap, and can support a top bag across the two panniers?

They seem to be very similar, and are the same size, but the back roller city bags are quite a bit cheaper!

OP
OP
BurningLegs

BurningLegs

Veteran
Thanks @User - they do seem to be a better size. I didn't realise they would be compatible on a rear rack! I've never had a front rack and assumed the mounting system was different.

gizmo1994

We have just done a weeks touring with a new set of City Rollers in red. Had no problems with them. They hold 40l across the pair, withstood all the weather that was thrown at them and really couldn't be faulted. There is no internal pocket but as mentioned above, there are 2 extra sets of hanger inserts to cope with different rack tube diameters and the lower clip has plenty of adjustment to make a good fit on the 2 different racks we used with them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have the city rollers and the only drawback I have found is the roll, it stops you rolling if you have big loads and is quite flappy if you leave it open. I managed to rip one when the strap got caught, ortlieb replaced it for free.

Top Bottom