Osborne's gift to cycling ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
There's always a silver lining!

One thing is certain from yesterday. Public transport costs are going to increase dramatically in January. Income is frozen or worse. Going to work is being squeezed horribly. Whilst car commuting costs have not been similarly hit - the choice is limited in major cities by congestion in general and in London by the tax and eye watering parking charges.

It is an opportunity to get people thinking about cycling. Make it the preferred modal shift for those they need to maintain a decent standard of living for those with average/below average incomes? A major problem is decision time will be January. The worst possible time to start cycling - especially if last winter's weather repeats. Does this mean it is a lost cause or can we imaginatively find ways around the issue?

My thoughts are that us cyclists sometimes forget how hard it is to start cycling. Even if we have muscles they tend to be in the wrong places and our nether regions can be over-sensitised to too much saddle. So starting a 6/10 mile commute is very off-putting for most people. Together with route finding and all the rest of it. Is this an opportunity to begin replacing part of your journey, holding the cost. Boris bikes is one obvious contender for people working in central London though difficult to save a zone fare. Riding from home to a station a zone further in may be better - but bike security is a fear and newbies may not know the best ways to protect and telling them only heightens their fears.

But there must be an opportunity to do something to get the bike to avoid the fare hike. Starting in January and building towards a permanent summer shift to cycling ...

porteous

Veteran
According to today's Daily Telegraph 8% of car owners feel they can no longer afford to use them. How many potential cyclists is that?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It is an opportunity to get people thinking about cycling. Make it the preferred modal shift for those they need to maintain a decent standard of living for those with average/below average incomes? A major problem is decision time will be January. The worst possible time to start cycling - especially if last winter's weather repeats. Does this mean it is a lost cause or can we imaginatively find ways around the issue?

But there must be an opportunity to do something to get the bike to avoid the fare hike. Starting in January and building towards a permanent summer shift to cycling ...

I agree, but I'm not talking about London. Every year there's uproar here at the bus fare rises among us peasants and lower middle classes. People start thinking hmmm can I justify £4.30 a day/£17 a week for a trip of two or three miles two ways? Many start pondering whether it'd be better to drive, walk or shock horror even cycle. The biggest problem is the huge capital outlay to buy a bike (or where to store it). It's why the London scheme is so powerful. In London the hire scheme is a fantastic tool to kick start newbies cycling it will be a much more powerful tool when it does zone 2. On the cost thing it might need a bit of a shove for newbies, perhaps a 1 day voucher to try and entice people in.

On the topic of the weather, I think it would be pretty unlikely we'd have a winter as bad as last year, that's not saying I'm making a prediction on that just that, it is not that likely to be repeated back to back winters - it still might. That said people make excuses, I remember seeing a survey on attitudes to cycling and despite a warm climate and bright bouncy blue skies in York one of the top excuses not to cycle was the poor weather :biggrin:. Found that one hilarious.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bike all the way not really an option for me, sadly (15 miles or so of nasty national speed limit single carriageway with grinding hills and impatient buffoons aplenty).

Pretty much stuck with train for that bit, & bike for the other 14 miles or so. That or run another car (NEVER!) given the cost of the season ticket.

Top Bottom