Oscars farce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4701598, member: 43827"]I hope Trump tweets his congratulations.[/QUOTE]

As it goes, he did.

[QUOTE 4701598, member: 43827"]I was amazed that the first item on the BBC news at 6 was the cock-up over the Best Film (non) award at the Oscars.

I suppose it wasn't funny for the team from La La Land, but I must guiltily admit to a bit of schadenfreude given the overblown self-congratulatory tone at these events within the film industry.

I felt a bit sorry for Warren Beatty, who knew there was probably something wrong, but just read the card.

It was interesting that in this Trump era the best film was an African American film and the best supporting actor was a Muslim. I hope Trump tweets his congratulations.[/QUOTE]

An African American film with a Muslim best supporting actor.
One things for sure.
It was definitely staged.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I thought noone was meant to know until the envelope was opened except for a select few. It looks like Warren Beatty knew

[QUOTE 4701598, member: 43827"]but I must guiltily admit to a bit of schadenfreude g[/QUOTE]
I only watched a clip of it, and I thought the producer who took the microphone and explained the mistake and held up the correct card behaved with great dignity. I doubt I would respond well if someone gave me my industries greatest honour, and then snatched it away from me again.

Not the only mistake of the evening. Apparently they used the wrong photo for one of the inmemoriams.

I thought noone was meant to know until the envelope was opened except for a select few. It looks like Warren Beatty knew
The card in the envelope said "Emma Stone. La La Land". That's why he thought there was a mistake.

(the outside said "best actress")

Apparently the guy who handed him the envelope had been tweeting photos from back stage, so not focussed. "You only had one job ...."

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Who actually cares? Apart from the industry itself does anyone else give a damn about these pseudo-incestuous ass-kissing award parties anyway?
Sadly lots of people.....

I heard that the MC said in the opening speech that America was a divided nation....what? . Yeah, it's a divided nation all-right between the haves and the have-nots. Oh the irony.
Remind me how much those goody bags were for people who already have obscene amounts of money?

A pox on it.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4701598, member: 43827"]I felt a bit sorry for Warren Beatty, who knew there was probably something wrong, but just read the card.[/QUOTE]
Or he didn't. Faye Dunaway read it. Probably you'd fallen asleep by the time they got to that bit of the report.

Bravo BBC - it's not like there was any more important news yesterday, was it?