Ostentatious displays of wealth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beanzontoast
I totally agree that people's opinions are all equal and worth hearing. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. :biggrin: That's why I asked the question in an 'is it just me?' manner. Had a feeling my sensitivity to this issue wasn't typical.

It's honestly held, though! I really find the whole idea of personalised plates sad!

I see it as a good thing.. certainly initially as plates for new reg, and SORNs are controlled by DVLA and there's money going back in there. eg in Fermanagh .. reg BIG 1 was sold for 100K. I do remember thinking when I first landed in England that there were alot of well to do Northern Irish people around.. all those NI number plates and always stuck on a porsche or Jag or something like that.

walker

I think a lot of you are getting a little carried away here. Your all ranting about a Sequence of numbers and letters that represent the make and model of car to the DVLA and the Police. I'm sure about 60% of us here would get one if it could go on our bikes, you know who you are and you know the answers yes.
B14NCHI
TR3K
G14 NT

I know your out there

gillan

indeed

such is the imagination of the purchaser they can see nothing better to spend their money onxx(

analgies with bikes are meaningless

record is better than chorus

a colnago is better then a claud butler

a unique reg is the same as....ehh...a unique reg other than the price

Anyway after all that ranting:smile: about personalised numberplates lets get back to the orginal post subject - ostentatious displays of wealth.

I work with a guy who has recently spent £3200:ohmy::ohmy: on Rolex and its not even a new Rolex, its secondhand (wrist)!!!!! I've that's ostentatious then I don't know what is. I mean just think of the bike you could get for that amount of cash!!

BTW back to personalised reg plates, I have one but I'm going to to change my name to Mr SD53LGH:biggrin::biggrin:

yenrod

ALL THIS ABOUT A REGISTRATION FOR A CAR...

This is a cycle forum...

It doesnt make sense...

Think about it all you intelligent lot

bonj2

I live near a fairly big solicitors and as you can imagine there are a lot of expensive cars parked in the car park during the day time. It's surprising actually, as although some have not been able to give in to the temptation to flaunt their wad in this way, there are some who have managed to resist the temptation - so much so that it's actually nice in a refreshing sort of way to see a standard, unmodified porsche 911 carrera with a normal '56' plate number plate on it. Which makes me think it's become so predictable among owners of posh cars that it's actually a novelty to not have one. Which makes me wonder, why are some of the idiots all paying just to conform?

I have to say though the 'posh-4x4' (or should I say SUV, are they even 4x4?) are more guilty than most, more than the sports-car brigade I would say definitely.

bonj2

someone near me has got C18 PON, what the hell is that supposed to spell? Cibpon? who the f**k's called cibpon?

gkerr4

I have two matching ones with one number difference - they have the first letter of my wifes, my two daughters and my own first name and our surname. They were £175 each and at the time the first one I bought was in order to de-age my car. I got the second one a year later when it came up for sale and while I like having them as a pair, I admit the first one was a deeply unsatisfying purchase (and that was the cheapest plate I could buy so god knows what it would feel like if you had paid £1000's for it!)

it's no different to buying carbon show-bits for your bike or buying armani jeans or jewellery - it's just an expression of customisation for your car / motorbike / bike etc - to say that "all people with private plates are twats" as some on here are saying is a bit harsh - I don't see why people can have beef about it - as long as they are road legal plates - I don't agree with modifying the plate to try and make it read like something it isn't.. Who are you to tell me what to spend my money on?

yenrod said:
ALL THIS ABOUT A REGISTRATION FOR A CAR...

This is a cycle forum...

It doesnt make sense...

Think about it all you intelligent lot

The heading says "a friendly place for everyone with an interest in cycling". Sub heading says "community". Communities discuss many things and these discussions often spread off topic. I guess that's how a thread about conspicuous displays of wealth has followed a twisty and rocky path around car registrations, expensive carbon cycles, over priced clothing, aping professional cyclists, telling others what they are allowed to spend their own funds on etc etc.

Top Bottom