OT. Anyone know much about the use of natural surfactants in neonatolgy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
errr my cats name is tiddles :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Are we talking about soap for tiny babies?

That's about the best I can make of it, and that might be wrong!

Arch

Married to Night Train
User76 said:
No, they are used in babies who are in Respitory Distress. They reduce the effort needed by the lungs to fill with air, and help them breathe easier (in a nutshell):smile:

Oh! I see. I was seeing the 'surfactants' bit, which you see in detergents. Presumably the link is something to do with breaking down mucus or something like that?

Still can't answer the question....

Apart from they'd breathe easier if you didn't keep them in a nutshell, it must be quite crowded.

Dave5N

Über Member
User76 said:
I need to know why a lower mean Fio2 AUC between 0-6 hours is better than a higher one. I have Wiki'ed it, but I cannot get why a lesser AUC is better than a greater one, given that the Fio2 is between 0.25 and 0.6.

Oi!

Mickle!

Over here now please.

You're needed.

U

User169

Something of a guess....

Oxygen toxicity appears to play a role in the development of chronic lung disease in neonates requiring mechanical intervention. Thus, lower mean AUC FiO2 suggests lower risk of developing CLD. Alternatively, higher AUC FiO2 is a positive indicator for future risk for CLD? How does that sound?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Delftse Post said:
Something of a guess....

Oxygen toxicity appears to play a role in the development of chronic lung disease in neonates requiring mechanical intervention. Thus, lower mean AUC FiO2 suggests lower risk of developing CLD. Alternatively, higher AUC FiO2 is a positive indicator for future risk for CLD? How does that sound?

Like the summary of a science paper?

U

User169

vernon said:
Like the summary of a science paper?

Well two or three science papers; those being the usual source of scientific information.

Top Bottom