[OT] Huge Congestion Charge Bill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Probably not, they have enough problems with European Diplomats paying them.

To be honest, 10 quid a day is extortionate. I don't know why they don't just get bikes or one of those awful G Wiz things and avoid the tax all together.

Edit: thought it was 8, it's actually a tenner.

OP
OP
abo

abo

Yeah a tenner a day is a lot. Last time I drove in the zone it was a fiver (or 7, something like that), it was ages ago. It was the reason why I started staying in the Metropole instead of the Marriott off Edgeware Road; the latter was *just* inside the zone and my employer decided that we couldn't claim it back for some reason (they relented after a while). But then it *is* supposed to be a discouragement for people to drive, but since I don't live down there I can't see for myself whether it is effective or not.

I miss doing the odd bit of work down there, I'd like to give one of Boris' machines a spin

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Who cares if they pay the charge or not? What I want to know is whether they'll pay the *fine*! :smile:

£5.5 million in charges is 687,500 incursions at £8 a pop (I know its more now, but I figure they've been at this for a while).

TFL would tell you or I that "any vehicle recorded as having been in the zone during charging hours but where no daily charge has been paid by midnight the following charging day must pay a penalty charge."

I reckon 24 hour reduction is up for most of the 687k too, so its the full £120 they owe...

(Runs off to do the math....)

£82,500,000

sabian92

Über Member
It's a bargain, and not a tax at all.

I believe that Livingstone called the US Ambassador a 'chiselling little crook' for trying to weasel out of paying. I would agree.

It's a bloody rip off if you can do it for free. Saying that, I live up 'norf, so i don't have any experience of it.

I would say it's a tax purely because the UK Government is charging to use the roads within the zone. To me that is a tax.

Tommi

Who cares if they pay the charge or not? What I want to know is whether they'll pay the *fine*! :smile:
On related note, wasn't the reason UK doesn't want to raise FPNs for bad driving that it would increase the number of people not paying them? My jaw dropped, I thought it was a fine, not a service charge.

Top Bottom