[OT] Huge Congestion Charge Bill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably not, they have enough problems with European Diplomats paying them.

To be honest, 10 quid a day is extortionate. I don't know why they don't just get bikes or one of those awful G Wiz things and avoid the tax all together.

Edit: thought it was 8, it's actually a tenner.
 
OP
OP
abo

abo

Guru
Location
Stockton on Tees
Yeah a tenner a day is a lot. Last time I drove in the zone it was a fiver (or 7, something like that), it was ages ago. It was the reason why I started staying in the Metropole instead of the Marriott off Edgeware Road; the latter was *just* inside the zone and my employer decided that we couldn't claim it back for some reason (they relented after a while). But then it *is* supposed to be a discouragement for people to drive, but since I don't live down there I can't see for myself whether it is effective or not.

I miss doing the odd bit of work down there, I'd like to give one of Boris' machines a spin
 

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Location
Bromley, Kent
Who cares if they pay the charge or not? What I want to know is whether they'll pay the *fine*! :smile:

£5.5 million in charges is 687,500 incursions at £8 a pop (I know its more now, but I figure they've been at this for a while).

TFL would tell you or I that "any vehicle recorded as having been in the zone during charging hours but where no daily charge has been paid by midnight the following charging day must pay a penalty charge."

I reckon 24 hour reduction is up for most of the 687k too, so its the full £120 they owe...

(Runs off to do the math....)

£82,500,000
 
It's a bargain, and not a tax at all.

I believe that Livingstone called the US Ambassador a 'chiselling little crook' for trying to weasel out of paying. I would agree.

It's a bloody rip off if you can do it for free. Saying that, I live up 'norf, so i don't have any experience of it.

I would say it's a tax purely because the UK Government is charging to use the roads within the zone. To me that is a tax.
 

Tommi

Guru
Location
London
Who cares if they pay the charge or not? What I want to know is whether they'll pay the *fine*! :smile:
On related note, wasn't the reason UK doesn't want to raise FPNs for bad driving that it would increase the number of people not paying them? My jaw dropped, I thought it was a fine, not a service charge.
 
Top Bottom