OT: Restored faith in human nature.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My brother phoned me ten minutes or so ago. He tells me he's accidentally reversed his loaded HGV into a ditch in the middle of Saddleworth Moor. Apparently the trailer wheels have started to sink into the bog, and the rear wheels of his tractor unit have been lifted about two feet off the ground on one side, possibly resulting in a badly twisted chassis. Needless to say, this is not good. However, he was telling me that any number of people driving past have stopped to ask him if he's ok, and one person drove past, went to their house and brought him back some sandwiches. Someone else stopped and gave him a flask of tea. Is it just me, or do others find this quite heartwarming? With any luck it'll be some consolation for him if he loses his job tomorrow.:ohmy:;)

Yes, there are still a lot of decent folk about. They just don't make as much noise as the bad 'uns.

bonj2

on the subject yes I experienced a similar thing in slightly lesser proportions, had puncture on an unlit road and while changing it one car driver stopped and turned round to make sure i was ok (i'd just about fixed it though and was gathering my stuff up and about to be on my way)
annoyingly narrow verge aswell with a drop to the field...
(but thanks anyway whoever it was in the car with the green grille lights on hague lane just out of renishaw)

as for your bro's beached lorry... hmm... but, yeah, you're right about it not being good.

dare i ask what it's loaded WITH? that might be getting spilt over the moor?

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:
It's nothing dangerous - he doesn't have a Haz Chem licence. It's probably cheap imported Chinese rubbish as he carries containers.

oh right, ok - I was more thinking along the lines of , I hope it's not like a lorry load of lions destined for a zoo or something like that, or crocodiles, that are now running wild on the moors.

stay off the moor!

longers

Legendary Member
Alan Frame said:
Yes, there are still a lot of decent folk about. They just don't make as much noise as the bad 'uns.

I like this a lot and I think it's very true.

bonj said:
oh right, ok - I was more thinking along the lines of , I hope it's not like a lorry load of lions destined for a zoo or something like that, or crocodiles, that are now running wild on the moors.

Hunt 'em!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I accidentally filled my diesel car with petrol and conked out in the middle of a busy junction 100 yards up the road. In the hour or so I was there about 5 different people stopped to offer help including one young lad who misunderstood my explanation, went away and returned 10 minutes later with a jerrycan of petrol!

I also received an exuberant offer of a push from four lads who emerged pissed from a nearby pub. I declined their offer politely.

Top Bottom