OT: wireless networking advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a three storey house (just moved) and have the wireless router (Netgear) in my office on the top floor front room. The wireless signal is adequate downstairs at the back but not great

The master socket is downstairs- can I plug in another router to the same line, or is there any type of booster I could put in?

Jay

CarnageAX

Why not put the router on the middle floor! It is best placed in the center of your house to minimise the distance travelled.

alfablue

You could get some longer antenna's - you could get one or two of these. One on the router, and maybe another on the PC if more gain needed. I have used them successfully.

col

Legendary Member
Im wanting wireless connection upstairs in a couple of months,how easy is it?If say a laptop has wireless ability built in,what basically would i have to do ,i havnt really got any idea.I have my main pc down stairs connected to broadband,and would like to keep the laptop on the same line,if i can?

alfablue

You just need a wireless router, and you can network with the pc and share the internet connection. It is relatively easy to setup (router admin interface varies in user-friendliness a little), sorting out WPA-PSK security is slightly trickier, but is easy enough if you read various internet guides or if the router manual is sufficiently helpful.

col

Legendary Member
So i take it the router plugs into my main pc and sendsthe signal upstairs,basically that is it is it?

Alcdrew

The router will plug into your phone line and into your PC, so you will be able to use the net on your wireless device without needing the PC turned on.

col

Legendary Member
Ok thanks for that,i thought it was going to be too complicated to bother with,but you describe it so even i can understand the principal,cheers.

KitsuneAndy

col said:
Ok thanks for that,i thought it was going to be too complicated to bother with,but you describe it so even i can understand the principal,cheers.

If you don't want to upgrade the PC's network to wireless as well make sure the router also has wired connections. Most do, but a couple are wireless only.

We have 2 pc's connected by wired connection to a Linksys router (an older model of this: http://www.linksys.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_WRT150N.html ) and the Wii and 360 connected via wireless, works a treat.

Also depends on if you have cable or ADSL as you sometimes need a specific router for some ADSL connections.

Top Bottom