1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT - Wireless Security

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by zimzum42, 2 May 2008.

1. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Just set up a wireless at home but have no idea how to lock it so you need a password to get on, so at the moment anyone can use our wireless....

Any tips?

It's a D-Link router and we're using a Mac as the main PC.....

2. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Use your internet browser to log in to the router's admin page on 192.168.0.1 ( I think), set up security there.
    The manual no help?

3. OP
    OP
    zimzum42

the manual is in a cd which doesn't work, and when i go to the admin page there are a million options, save for the one i want. i can block websites, i can get the router to fry bacon, but not this......

4. Brock

Brock Senior Member

It's WPA or WEP settings you should be looking for.
    Have you tried the www.d-link.co.uk tech support? I'd be surprised if they didn't provide the manual for download.

5. OP
    OP
    zimzum42

I'll have a go when i get home, cheers!

6. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

WPA is much stronger encryption.
    Good luck.

7. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

OT - is WPA2 that much stronger than WPA?

8. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I wouldn't imagine they would bring in a new standard that was just a tiny bit better?

9. gdean

gdean New Member

WPA2 adds to the security *and* to scalability - an engineering issue.

Graham

10. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

The ability to put the code in should be under the Wireless network headdings - use WPA or WPA2 (if you have it). Make yourself up a long passcode (letters numbers) write it down, then apply changes, then hop off to your laptop or what ever, and when you try to connect it will ask for the code.

11. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

If you're using a Mac as your main computer on the network, definitely use WPA personal rather than WPA2 if you can, as it's much easier to configure and troubleshoot.

12. OP
    OP
    zimzum42

It worked, thanks guys!