Other cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Like seriously, wtf is wrong with some of them?

Today a woman tries to overtake me, what she didn't know is i knew the bus in front was pulling into a stop and i was waiting for a gap that i know will appear and i was going into it. I went as i was expecting and bombed it away from her. i stop at the red lights further down the road, maybe 400m. a good 30 seconds pass before she pulls up next to me on my right, so i know she is kinda slow. The lights go green and i go to pull away, BUT she starts to move into me and forces me to slow down, other traffic then starts to overtake us so i can't get in front at all.

What then ticked me off further is that a little further up is another set of lights, which i know are going to be red and can see they are, up the side is a small cycle lane which goes no where, and she goes up it as the lights are turning green. I've got better judgement and just wait for the two cars in front to go as i know i'm more than likely going to get forced off the road if i do.

BUT WAIT, i hear a shout from behind " COME ON" oh yeah another cyclists behind expects me to go in the gap, i felt like saying f off as thats all i needed after she cut me up.

You don't expect a car to turn right when theres a gap and they are indicating to do so, so i wish cyclists wouldn't expect me to do dumb shoot!

Rant over... just a bit ticked off today

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Gaz

people can be super impatient and it makes them do stupid things on the road - just sounds like a serious gap in cycling safety and knowledge- don't rise to it; they obviously want to cycle their way -I get exasperation when I stop at red lights and then pissed off again when I overtake them 10 seconds up the road even though they force through and RLJ. Seems like people are only looking at the bit of the road a cm infront of their tyre and not assessing road conditions or other road users.

Frustrating no doubt but you know you're doing the right thing

purplepolly

gaz said:
so i wish cyclists wouldn't expect me to do dumb shoot!

You just have to try and ignore them and do what's safest for you.

The other week I was catching up with a woman who was cycling on the pavement when she decided to join the road right in front of me without looking. A short distance later there was a junction with lights on red, an asl with feeder lane and about 5 cars waiting. 3 of them, including the first 2 were signalling left so I wait at the back. She stopped behind me and shouted at me to move to the lights. I pointed out that 3 of the cars are turning left. She yelled that there was plenty of room. I replied that I wasn't about to take road safety lessons from someone who joins the road without even looking. If she hadn't of been old enough to be my mother, I would have said rather more than that.

In retrospect maybe I should have waited further out and let her filter. :laugh:

Tubbs

A while ago I was waiting at the lights, about three cars back as they were all signalling left. I'd also noticed some glass on the road at the front of the queue so wouldn't have been able to get in front of the first car anyway. A cyclist came up behind me and tutted and before I had chance to say anything he jumped onto the pavement to get round me. When he jumped back onto the road in front of me he landed in the glass and got a puncture. Oops!

I'm not cycling at the moment so have been watching cyclists more (with envy) and I have noticed some idiots on the road which makes me cringe, but pleased to note that the majority I've seen have been sensible and safe and stop at the lights etc.

davidg

Two incidents today

One Cevelo team kit chap - there isnt enough room to overtake me when I am filtering slowly left in slowish moving traffic on a single lane in London. Do your time trial somewhere else (and that probably comes from the lady in front who he almost shunted into the kerb)...

Two You are very luck chap. that was less than a metre when the car turning right saw you and braked. If you are fast filtering on the left in queuing traffic, it is probably worth check the side street turning and slowing down....I saw it about to happen a mile off (it was so obvious) and I bloody crapped myself on your behalf...

ladyrider100

Little incident that made my mutter under my breath today. At temporary traffic lights, skip lorry at front so I sit behind so I dont get in his blindspot etc etc and the lovely man on his shiny bike behind me tuts, mutters to himself, picks his bike up ?? and carries it to the pavement in front of skip lorry.....................lights change, I move off safely after Mr Skip Lorry and mr mardy bum cyclist is stuck on pavement waiting for a gap to get back on road. Doh.

bilko

10 more miles until coffee
I am well aware that when on the road I have to think not only about what I am doing but also what all the other road-users are doing/are in the process of doing/are possibly going to do, be they cyclists or drivers. By the sounds of it I can multitask, didn't know that.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
There is one in Peterborough who is £30 worse off tonight. Black Rucksack, Black Hoodie, Black Trackies, Black Trainers. No lights and an iffy back brake....On the flaming road at 2120 hours....

Alan Whicker

My biggest irritation is yoof on MTBs dressed from head to foot in black clothes with their hoods up suddenly jumping from the pavement into my path without looking. Very hard to see, and certainly sharpens the nerves. Mile End Road in Bow is particularly bad for this. I just don't understand how anyone would even think of taking to the road at night without lights. In London it's insane. And to think when I got my Airzound I thought i'd never use it.

This was a new one: Three Colts Lane, Bethnal Green this evening - bloke passes in opposite direction with a red LED light on his handlebars.

"He surely won't have a white flasher on his seat post - will he? Nah. No way."

Well, he did have. I bet he had his underpants on back to front as well. :birthday:

potsy

Rambler
I had an elderly guy 60-70,riding along the pavement yesterday as I get level with him he decides he's now ready for the road and just comes straight on to it down a drop kerb,not even a glance to see if anythings coming,luckily my built in warning system alerted me to the fact he might do this so I just missed him.silly old get.

GrasB

Veteran
Alan Whicker said:
This was a new one: Three Colts Lane, Bethnal Green this evening - bloke passes in opposite direction with a red LED light on his handlebars.
Oh I've seen plenty of people do that or buy 2 rear led lights one for the front & one for the back.. I asked someone why & they said that front lights are 50p more expensive & what was the fuss about. :birthday:

Top Bottom