"other people to see"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i went for an interview yesterday, which went well, (the yha, if it makes any difference) and they said they were seeing TEN people in all before asking the "interesting" ones back for the next stage (hopefully i passed muster).

ten seems rather a lot; i was told by my current employers that they had "a few others still to see", but that turned out to be bull and i was the only interviewee for the post.

seems to be a gambit to stop you feeling too confident and asking for a higher starting salary or some such.

any hard-nosed interviewers out there like to shed some light?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Having recruited a fair bit over the years, "more people to see" usually means just that to be honest, that said, it's silly for an employer to hang on for ages else the good people get hired elsewhere.

For external candidates, I'd usually say "no" reasonably quickly , albeit not usually there and then.
Similarly I'd usually say "yes" pretty quickly too, to avoid the person being scooped up by someone else - again not usually there and then, but it has been known.

Sometimes reserve candidates can be kept hanging on, but that's unfortunate, but they're still in with a shout - if candidate A doesn't take job, or get's " the call" in a few months if a 2nd role comes up.

Sometimes people do get messed around but I've always strived not to do this.

Top Bottom