Other people's gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's not hard to keep on top of your bike gears - just degrease/wash/dry/lube after every ride.

Must have passed about 12 riders today and 8 of them had squeaky black/dirty chains

Watch this - clean it and offend my eyes/ears no more

30 minutes? After every ride? :ohmy:
Don't get me wrong, I like to keep on top of my bikes mechanically, but that certainly will NOT be happening!

Milzy

Guru
Yes, this boils my urine also. I know a lad who polishes his frame all the time and the cassette is black with thick dry oil,dust etc. He'd be better been the other way around.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Quick wipe down with an oily rag anyone? All that washing up liquid and degreaser is going to, well, degrease things. I put the grease there for a reason in the first place!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Buy something with a Sturmey Archer AW hub. You might need to trickle some motor oil down it if it's been standing over winter but apart from that it will work perfectly every time and probably outlast the bike.

snorri

Legendary Member
It's not hard to keep on top of your bike gears - just degrease/wash/dry/lube after every ride.

........................but it is hard. Why should a relatively lo-tech machine like my bike require more day to day maintenance than my car which covers twice the annual mileage?
I know why, it's because the market is flooded with bikes for wannabe racers and clever marketing which has resulted in the majority of UK cyclists being sold bikes which are more suited to occasional sporting or leisure use rather than daily transport which is what they had wanted the bike for when they approached the salesperson.

D

Deleted member 1258

Once a week wash bike, once a week check bike, if chain is dirty wipe with rag, if chain is very dirty clean with white spirit and an old paint brush, if the chain is dry relub, job done

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
just degrease/wash/dry/lube after every ride
Are you insane? There's no excuse for filthy, poorly maintained gears, but the idea that avoiding it involves that kind of effort is ludicrous. I keep everything running sweet by cleaning things occasionally and by going easy/carefully with lubes - so's to avoid picking up crap in the first place. Degreasing/washing the actual chain is, as I understand it, a no-no in any case - it removes internal factory-fitted lubes that you actually need, and can't replace. No, I wipe down the chain and re-lube maybe once a fortnight; attend to the gears and cassette occasionally, and all is well.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just fitted a new set of chainrings, cassette and chain to my Tourer. Not sure the OP would have liked the state of the old stuff but I knew they were all dead anyway so just ran them into the ground. It was all indexed and running reasonably smoothly (other than the chain-suck from the worn rings) just filthy :biggrin:

You can clean the chain if you want to @swee'pea99, but then need to lube it again properly. I've had to on my MTB recently after riding 4 miles along the beach at low tide. Chain off, cleaned in white spirit, dried, wet lube applied. Unfortunately forgot to dry the casette after washing so that now has a few orange teeth that need sorting :blush:

Top Bottom