OU course, back on track- yay!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Maizie said:
Back in the day, when lots of courses had residential schools, they would be held in the summer months at a physical university, so obviously had to be while all the 'real' students were on holiday.
Now that virtually no courses come with an integral residential course - but there are still plenty of resi courses, just they count separately

I had a colleague once, whose wife banned him from attending the residential courses, because she'd lost her first husband after he met somebody on one.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yellow Fang said:
I had a colleague once, whose wife banned him from attending the residential courses, because she'd lost her first husband after he met somebody on one.

:hello: I must be on the wrong courses!

Maizie

Veteran
marinyork said:
Any good Maizie? I'm sort of the same, I don't need to do any of it but looking at courses in completely different areas now just to see. I did a physics course and didn't really like it, thought it was incredibly waffly (but in fairness that's physicists for you).

I (clearly) really enjoy it. I find that I really really need to keep my head busy. If I don't have my head working on stuff, then I tend to overthink and go round in circles and pretty soon I can't leave the house because I've wound myself up (I do have panic disorder/agoraphobia). So the OU is there to provide something to do to keep me sane.

I've not had a course I didn't enjoy yet. Because I am doing this for fun, I am consciously relaxed about it. I don't care about the grades, though I've managed a Pass 2 (=2.i) on everything to date (except for those courses which didn't come with a grade, just pass/fail). I try not to stress too much at TMA and exam time. Yes, it's nice to get a good result, but ultimately if I fail a course it wouldn't actually be a problem.

I also don't put in anywhere near enough hours. I'm currently doing a 60 point course which the OU give as 16 hours per week. I probably do about 4 hours per week ;) so actually I should consider my grades quite good, all in all.

I went for the introductory Arts course first of all. I'd done science all the way from as soon as I had options at school, discovering about history and stuff (my husband's area) I realised how much I'd missed out on. So I went for introductory arts and classical studies seemed to appeal from there.

I have recently resumed music lessons, so come the end of the BA that might take up enough of my time and head-space that I don't need to continue OUing :smile: On the other hand, it may just mean I feel compelled to do a music course or two :blush:

Ravelin

After ehm....too many...years of studying I finally finished my BSc Hons in Natural Science last year. Now that I've no studying to do, and no current plans to do any more, I'm finally enjoying having much more time to get out cycling, running, gardening etc. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the course but no more TMAs, no more Sundays trying to catch up on coursework etc is just great.

William

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Yeah, I felt great when I completed my degree. Didn't do anything OU related for five years. Took up time-trialling and cyclocross, bought some more bikes.

I'll not be doing another one after this. Probably not anyway

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
palinurus said:
Yeah, I felt great when I completed my degree. Didn't do anything OU related for five years. Took up time-trialling and cyclocross, bought some more bikes.

I'll not be doing another one after this. Probably not anyway

You'll still buy some more bikes though won't you? :smile:

Top Bottom