Ouch my back !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr browndog

after i came back from my ride on saturday i got a twinge in my back (nothing during my ride) feels a bit like a pulled muscle or a knot in my shoulder blade.
now i read in cycling weekly it could be due to my saddle position (mine points down slightly)
does any body else get knots/pulled muscle in the back after a ride?

thing is im doing the norther rock cyclone on saturday and i dont want to mess with my saddle as it could cause me more problemos

any advice?

battered

Guru
I would suggest some gentle stretching after a ride, can't do any harm and will almost certainly help. Cycling is lousy exercise for suppleless so stretching has to be a good addition.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The saddle position could well be the culprit. The way I see it, the saddle is supposed to be canted up by about 5 degrees at the nose, which will cause you to sit back correctly on your pelvis with some stabilising weight taken between the legs. If the saddle is canted forwards it will be throwing all your weight onto your hands and arms.

Go out carrying the allen key for the saddle and have a good old mess around with the position. Get the height right first then the saddle posture and distance from the bars. It can take quite a lot of trial and error to get it right but it's worth the effort when you get to the end of a long ride and realise that you haven't noticed the saddle at all.

Well, according to the good old guru Paul Hewitt: The saddle should be completely straight, if you need to tilt it for whatever reason, your setup is wrong somewhere else. Saying that, mine points down the tiniest bit at the nose - he let me off cause I'm a girl... :ohmy:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
according to the good old guru Paul Hewitt

Paul Hewitt is right. For most people, a straight saddle is the best answer. Though there may be riders who have an unusual derriere and need to raise/lower.

OP
OP
M

mr browndog

ok so i tried the following
stretching
deep heat muscle rub
girlfriends half hearted massage (whilst watching tv)
hot bath this morning

nothings working, off to the gym at 12 for a jacuzzi and steam room, hoping this will loosen me up a bit

Globalti

Legendary Member
Put your hand in your pocket and shell out £25, which will get you a session with a physio. They will sort it for you. There are plenty in Yellow Pages.

OP
OP
M

mr browndog

i can get physio for free on nhs but i was needing a quick fix before saturday as im doing the northern rock cyclone, surely dont need physio every time i get this blasted knot in my back

punkypossum said:
What are you saying about my bum??? :bicycle:

I dunno, I've never seen it! :wacko:
Remember, this thread's useless without pics...............

mr browndog said:
surely dont need physio every time i get this blasted knot in my back

Ever since I strained my back, about ten years ago, pulling up carpet underlay, my back has been the bane of my life. Diagnosed as ligament damage by the chiropractor I went to see, I now have to have regular 'maintenance' vists about once every couple of months at £30 a pop, and they never 'cure' it, just make it more manageable. I'd probably take anti-inflammatory drugs regularly, which I've proven in the past work very well for me if (a) they didn't damage your stomach lining and (:o) I wasn't already on meds for reducing stomach acid, which preclude taking anti-inflams. I love my new Tifosi, but it's giving me all sorts of neck/back/shoulder aches due to the more hunched-over riding position of a road bike. One of these days I'm gonna get a recumbent and cycle in comfort:becool:
Just out of curiosity, how old are you mr browndog?

OP
OP
M

mr browndog

Browser said:
I dunno, I've never seen it! :biggrin:
Remember, this thread's useless without pics...............

Ever since I strained my back, about ten years ago, pulling up carpet underlay, my back has been the bane of my life. Diagnosed as ligament damage by the chiropractor I went to see, I now have to have regular 'maintenance' vists about once every couple of months at £30 a pop, and they never 'cure' it, just make it more manageable. I'd probably take anti-inflammatory drugs regularly, which I've proven in the past work very well for me if (a) they didn't damage your stomach lining and (B) I wasn't already on meds for reducing stomach acid, which preclude taking anti-inflams. I love my new Tifosi, but it's giving me all sorts of neck/back/shoulder aches due to the more hunched-over riding position of a road bike. One of these days I'm gonna get a recumbent and cycle in comfort:becool:
Just out of curiosity, how old are you mr browndog?

went to the physio this morning and she has told me that my back muscles are over developed thus making my muscles bunch and reduces the lubrication getting to my joints, there fore when im in the riding position for a few hours my muscle joints arnt twisting, untill i get off the bike, she has advised me on stretches and i need to go back and see her next week, not sure if i have explained this properly but im no physio, i was just trying to remember what she was telling me

im 26 years old

Ah, sounds like you'll be OK with that diagnosis. Just make sure you do the stretches, not think about doing them like someone I know.....:thumbsup:
Ah to be 26 again! I am hurtling rapidly towards 40 (13.5 months to go) and am starting to accept that aches and pains will become more common, as well as stiffness etc.
Now where did I put me pipe 'n slippers?:thumbsdown:

Top Bottom