Out and about in ‘18....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought a new (2nd hand) bike in December and did a handful of rides over the Christmas period but now I’m back with with an urgency to get a tad fitter. I did 18 miles (Fairburn, Swillington, Oulton, Methley, Castleford, Fairburn) at the weekend and really do have the bug now the weather is hopefully improving. I think I managed a reasonable time and certainly knew about it when I got home.

I think I have a tendency to ride in too high a gear (big front cog, small rear cog) ☺️ most of the time and read I need to be doing around 80/100 rpm to be comfortable. How you count and time at the same time is beyond me?? I read also that cross chaining is a no no which I didn’t know about but I will try and avoid that in future.

Strava really does improve the cycling experience and fascinates me although I’m embarrassed about being the slowest rider of the day most of the time but can’t wait for the thing to download after a ride. How do you stop the thing pausing when you put the phone in your pocket when starting a ride?

Although being a low mileage bike it is four years old and I did notice a creak last time I was out so I booked it in for a mini service at 2J’s ?? in Knottingley on Monday.

Panting, red faced and breathless on a white bike? It’s me, give me a wave....

Trigger369

Über Member
I bought a new (2nd hand) bike in December and did a handful of rides over the Christmas period but now I’m back with with an urgency to get a tad fitter. I did 18 miles (Fairburn, Swillington, Oulton, Methley, Castleford, Fairburn) at the weekend and really do have the bug now the weather is hopefully improving. I think I managed a reasonable time and certainly knew about it when I got home.

I think I have a tendency to ride in too high a gear (big front cog, small rear cog) ☺️ most of the time and read I need to be doing around 80/100 rpm to be comfortable. How you count and time at the same time is beyond me?? I read also that cross chaining is a no no which I didn’t know about but I will try and avoid that in future.

Strava really does improve the cycling experience and fascinates me although I’m embarrassed about being the slowest rider of the day most of the time but can’t wait for the thing to download after a ride. How do you stop the thing pausing when you put the phone in your pocket when starting a ride?

Although being a low mileage bike it is four years old and I did notice a creak last time I was out so I booked it in for a mini service at 2J’s ?? in Knottingley on Monday.

Panting, red faced and breathless on a white bike? It’s me, give me a wave....
Well done for your efforts .
Wouldn' worry because I'm just the same panting and red faced and outa breath.
We Can only get fitter.
As for Strava I've no problems with it going off in my pocket ,just screen lock the phone

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
To turn off Auto Pause.
Open Strava then press record at the bar at the bottom of the screen.
Press the logo with 3 lines/3 circles at the top left corner of the screen (settings).
Press Auto Pause to turn on/off.

I don’t use the ‘Auto Pause’ feature.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

To turn off Auto Pause.
Open Strava then press record at the bar at the bottom of the screen.
Press the logo with 3 lines/3 circles at the top left corner of the screen (settings).
Press Auto Pause to turn on/off.

I don’t use the ‘Auto Pause’ feature.
We Can only get fitter.
As for Strava I've no problems with it going off in my pocket ,just screen lock the phone

Thanks for the tips guys, I’m out for an hour tomorrow afternoon weather permitting....

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

Keep trying is all I'd suggest.

My 13yo and myself will be near you on the 21st of April as we're both doing a TT that goes through Fairburn.

Keep trying is all I'd suggest.

My 13yo and myself will be near you on the 21st of April as we're both doing a TT that goes through Fairburn.

I will keep a look out and Fairburn welcomes you!

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

We Can only get fitter.

Hopefully Trigger the fitness will come. I do have a trainer that I use in the conservatory but it really is mind numbingly boring - oh and I fell off believe it or not but that’s another story!!!

Top Bottom