Out of breath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
My asthma is really giving me grief during my commute these past two days
sad.gif

I had to stop 2 times on the way into work this morning, and 3 on the way back home to take my medication to ease the breathlessness but to not much effect. The first hour after getting into work went slow and I didn't feel at all well until mid-morning. Going home I don't even think I broke 15 mph on the flat, apart from a short downhill section, and I was still out of puff at 3.5 miles into the 9 mile ride even tough I wasn't exactly pushing it.

I haven't had it quite this bad since the cold weather in early January, where I had what I now suspect to be a full-blown asthma attack, I didn't know what the symptoms of one were at the time but now I do after my annual asthma clinic appointment.

http://www.cyclechat...stthroat-pains/

I am at odds whether to cycle in tomorrow as this breathlessness combined with the coughing that goes with it is not making the commute very enjoyable.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
First statement: I'm not medical trained apart from the basic first aid.

My first thoughts would be are you under the weather at the moment ... got a cold brewing? If not then it's probably worth seeing the asthma clinic/nurse if you are needing to use the inhaler regularly to see if your preventer inhaler is correct.

And as User13710 says its not a race ... if you are not feeling full of energy don't push it and just have an easy journey that day.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I say "only"15mph, I can usually keep a steady pace on the flat without putting in too much effort. I have no speedo by the way and have been estimating my speed and today felt incredibly slow on the flat, and I could not keep up putting the effort in with my breathlessness. I am not sure if it would be anything to do with my fitness, I have been commuting regularly for the past 6-7 months (over distance of 5 miles, and now 9 miles each way) without trouble which makes me think this might only be a temporary thing. hopefully.

I haven't felt any signs of a cold coming on, not yet anyway, and my energy levels are the same as they always are. No change in diet or routine either, I am usually fueled up with a banana before a ride at the least and I make sure I am hydrated and take asthma medication (ventolin) just before.

If it continues I think I will take your advice SD and have another chat with the asthma clinic and see if there is anything in my medication that needs changing.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Holdsworth- I'd definitely echo the sentiments to get yourself seen again at the asthma clinic as it sounds like your asthma may have changed which means that it's not being well controlled by the current inhaler/inhalers.
Hope you get it sorted!

Top Bottom