Outdated E3 Harelbeke Advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
Not to start a huge debate (although by reacting I'll probably will), but in my opinion...

Was Sagan's pinching: childish... yes, inappropriate... totally, sexist... yes (and the fact he didn't realize this while doing it, points at a wider society problem)

Do I think it's funny/ok that the organizers refer to the Sagan incident (which was - and this does play a part in me finding it ok - solved between the girl and Sagan afterwards)... yes

You should be able to make fun of just about everything, in this case there actually laughing - partly - with themselves as organisation (as they have done before in the past). Comedy can bring issues to the front, but doesn't mean that by bringing something as comedy, you take the side of the view of the easiest perceived way... on the contrary, a writer wouldn't use it, if he didn't see/feel the duality (or mostly even the other side) in it.
(Oh, and the comment "wie knijpt ze", does indeed literally translate to "who pinches them", but also figuratively "who is scared")

Despite our need to be socially right and politically correct, the commercial world know what exactly drives viewership and revenue. Its the same reason why Beach Volleyball has stopped every attempt to change the attire code or athletics their interesting range of wardrobe.

Its called brinkmanship. They have to be careful not to go too far or the blowback will actually be alot more damaging where sponsors abandon the event.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
They have to be careful not to go too far or the blowback will actually be alot more damaging where sponsors abandon the event.
I think it's the opposite, outdated sexist images, to promote a bike race, are more likely to put off advertisers. It alienates more than 51% of the population and hopefully a large majority of the remaining 49% have the sense to see it has no place in a modern world.

I will say I instantly got the reference though. I knew it was referring to the Peter Sagan incident, which in itself probably did more to promote the race than the race did. It's a send-up of that incident so it's not quite as gratuitous as it first appears, but.... or butt....

zizou

Veteran
They have had various sexist posters over the last few years too that didnt reference the Sagan incident, so i think it is as gratuitous as it first appears.

Despite our need to be socially right and politically correct, the commercial world know what exactly drives viewership and revenue. Its the same reason why Beach Volleyball has stopped every attempt to change the attire code or athletics their interesting range of wardrobe.

Its called brinkmanship. They have to be careful not to go too far or the blowback will actually be alot more damaging where sponsors abandon the event.

Funny that, I unfollowed the event in twitter due to the poster appearing all the time on my twitter feed.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I will say I instantly got the reference though. I knew it was referring to the Peter Sagan incident, which in itself probably did more to promote the race than the race did. It's a send-up of that incident so it's not quite as gratuitous as it first appears, but.... or butt....

... there are ways of making the reference without further objectifing women. They could have been a little more imaginative and still been as funny, if not funnier.

Top Bottom