I think it's the opposite, outdated sexist images, to promote a bike race, are more likely to put off advertisers. It alienates more than 51% of the population and hopefully a large majority of the remaining 49% have the sense to see it has no place in a modern world.They have to be careful not to go too far or the blowback will actually be alot more damaging where sponsors abandon the event.
Funny that, I unfollowed the event in twitter due to the poster appearing all the time on my twitter feed.Despite our need to be socially right and politically correct, the commercial world know what exactly drives viewership and revenue. Its the same reason why Beach Volleyball has stopped every attempt to change the attire code or athletics their interesting range of wardrobe.
Its called brinkmanship. They have to be careful not to go too far or the blowback will actually be alot more damaging where sponsors abandon the event.
... there are ways of making the reference without further objectifing women. They could have been a little more imaginative and still been as funny, if not funnier.I will say I instantly got the reference though. I knew it was referring to the Peter Sagan incident, which in itself probably did more to promote the race than the race did. It's a send-up of that incident so it's not quite as gratuitous as it first appears, but.... or butt....