Outed

Mad Doug Biker said:
Mag, I'd buy your camera, but I feel that I wouldn't be able to live up to it's reputation!

Ah, but think of it as an investment. In years to come you could sell it on for a big profit once I've signed my second film deal...;)

Seriously I'm keen to sell so if you're interested....:biggrin:

Origamist, it just looks too bulky to me. I like discreet. I'm not trying to hide it, as such, but it is better if drivers aren't sure which cyclists might be filming them....

Anyway back on topic... have you seen this idiot again BM?
 

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Location
South London
No, it's Bollo's idiot mate. ;)
 

Origamist

Guru
Location
Sandbach
magnatom said:
Origamist, it just looks too bulky to me. I like discreet. I'm not trying to hide it, as such, but it is better if drivers aren't sure which cyclists might be filming them....
I thought that until I saw one in the flesh, but as you helmet mount, I see where you're coming from.


4555350518_367302227c_o.jpg
 

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Location
South London
I reckon a visible camera has a noticeable effect on drivers, positive to us. I've had quite a few drivers put down the phone without any fuss or complaint, and a sorry wave too.

Some other drivers who had noticeable aggression in their driving style suddenly change to driving in a much more acceptable manner. I reckon it's because they suddenly noticed the camera.
 

BigSid

Über Member
Location
Hungerford
BentMikey said:
I reckon a visible camera has a noticeable effect on drivers, positive to us. I've had quite a few drivers put down the phone without any fuss or complaint, and a sorry wave too.

Some other drivers who had noticeable aggression in their driving style suddenly change to driving in a much more acceptable manner. I reckon it's because they suddenly noticed the camera.
I agree about a visible camera being a deterrent. When I'm in the car I mount mine (ATC2K) on my headrest and "adjust it" if I'm being tailgated. It's amazing how tailgaters suddenly leave a huge gap.
Phone users usually don't seem to notice my "adjustment" or even my blatantly pointing it out.

It is front facing but you can't tell from outside the car. :tongue:

I don't usually have it on the bike as I my commute is off-road.
 

Armegatron

Active Member
BigSid said:
I agree about a visible camera being a deterrent. When I'm in the car I mount mine (ATC2K) on my headrest and "adjust it" if I'm being tailgated. It's amazing how tailgaters suddenly leave a huge gap.
Phone users usually don't seem to notice my "adjustment" or even my blatantly pointing it out.

It is front facing but you can't tell from outside the car. :tongue:

I don't usually have it on the bike as I my commute is off-road.
I sometimes mount mine in the car, the muvi fits nicely onto the mirror so it doesn't obstruct my vision, and gives a very clear drivers type of view. I still need to do a route by car and by bike and play the two videos side by side for comparison :smile:
 

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Location
'ampsheeeer
mike.pembo said:
I sometimes mount mine in the car, the muvi fits nicely onto the mirror so it doesn't obstruct my vision, and gives a very clear drivers type of view. I still need to do a route by car and by bike and play the two videos side by side for comparison :tongue:
Mounted my muvi clone in me old man's car:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQCA-O0njWs


Used bluetak though. Seemed more stable that way. :eek:
 

Origamist

Guru
Location
Sandbach
After years of wavering, it was Broken Betty's post about the camera being akin to an aircraft's black-box recorder that finally swayed me (other factors: I'm a geek where gadgets are concerned and a voyeur).
 
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Location
Winch
That's a pretty good description of why I keep a camera. After the initial excitement wore off, I began to regard it as a form of insurance in case the worst happened. Although I've no problem with using cameras in a campaigning role, as an educational tool or to expose tosspot drivers (and cyclists) for what they are, the ethics of camming up can get a little murky at times.

If I do feel the need to post a video, I try to keep to a few homemade rules, for example no kids (I've a couple of shockers during captured during the local school run that I won't put up), not advertising a new video where I've made a complaint to a company until I've had a response, removing videos if I get a positive response to a complaint. That kinda thing. I don't expect others to follow these and don't judge other people's motivations for posting vids, but it makes me more comfortable about recording.

I had a good six months over the latter half of 2009 with very little grief and so stopped using the camera. However, there've been a few bad and funny experiences this year (the off into the ford could've been Youtube gold), so I'm back filming day-to-day. ContourHD arrived today - yay!
 
Top Bottom