outer cable sheath?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The plastic outer cable cover from my tiagra shifter to the front mech has become kinked. Is it possible to buy replacements?

Yes it is.

twowheelsgood

Yep, any LBS will sell you it by the metre. It's platic coated but flexible wire on the inside. Better ones are spiral wound.

If you ask nicely they may cut it to size with the right tool that doesn't foul up the ends.

You will also need a new inner cable as you'll have to remove it and it will most like be damaged.

Just a thought - why is it kinked?

Is it due to a tight turn and could it be prevented from recurring by a better cable run?

Do make sure you get the right one - gear cable outer not brake cable outer in your case.

Gear cable outer is designed not to compress, so that the measured amount of inner cable pulled by the ratchet mechanism is exactly the amount that the derailleur is pulled by. It's basically parallel wire strands formed into a tube and plastic coated.

Brake cable outer on the other hand needs to be stonger, because you can pull the brake lever a hell of a lot harder than the shifter does.
It's essentially a plastic-coated long spiral wire, like a spring, so it compresses a little but that's not a problem with the brakes.

If you used brake cable outer for the gears, you'd just get slightly cr*ppy shifting (which might be OK as a get-home-from-middle-of-nowhere fix if touring somewhere really remote).
But if you used gear cable outer for the brakes, you'd risk it failing, splitting, and your brakes failing catastrophically...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You might be better off getting a new set of both really, inners and outers, so long as you have the tools to cut both..... if not see what the LBS recommends..

Me, I'd replace both inner and outer, but I have the tools !

Number14

Guru
twowheelsgood said:
Yep, any LBS will sell you it by the metre. It's platic coated but flexible wire on the inside. Better ones are spiral wound.

Spiral wound outer cable is usually brake outer and may not be compatible with your index gear system. Outer wire for index gears consists of linear strands as they don't compress and allow more accurate shifting. ShimaNO have made index gear int he past but it is normally sold in fixed lengths, pre-compressed with ferrules securely fastened at each end.

Top Bottom