Outer Hebrides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
samid

samid

Guru
Again, thanks for all the info.
Re direction of travel - ideally, I would like to do a complete loop, riding out of Edinburgh, and returning there. I.e. at some point I will have to ride against the wind. But perhaps the winds are likely to be stronger over the islands...

Tinytwin

Just wondered myself about wind on the islands, but that appears to have been answered. However, the other question is: when is the best time of year to cycle (when the wind is low, the sun is shining and the temperature is warm - if those exist!). Ta.

Alves

Tinytwin said:
Just wondered myself about wind on the islands, but that appears to have been answered. However, the other question is: when is the best time of year to cycle (when the wind is low, the sun is shining and the temperature is warm - if those exist!). Ta.
definitely May or June in my experience of the Western Isles.
The midges are less, the tourists haven't arrived en masse (the roads are quieter and fewer caravans) the days are longer and the weather seems to be better.

Tinytwin said:

If you go in July you can finish in Stornoway when the Hebridean Celtic Festival is on. You would need to either have accommodation booked or camp as everything gets booked up.
www.hebceltfest.com

rualexander

Legendary Member
I didn't do the Skye leg because riding across Skye is crap - A roads, basically. Didn't you find that?

Only about 40km out of the 120km from Uig to Armadale on Skye is on busier main roads if you cross over from Uig to Staffin and then go down the coast road to Portree. Portree to Broadford is the main road section but a bit of it (including a fair climb) can be bypassed on the old coast road after Sconser. Broadford to Armadale is ok and has a section of old road alongside it for a few miles. On a good day cycling on Skye is excellent.
As for the Western Isles, the Gatliff Hostels are great and you can camp at them too, great cycling if you get the weather .

IJCymru

ASC1951 said:
Yes, I did find that. But I had a friend I wanted to see who ran a canoeing school in Uig and I knew the then landlord at the pub in Portree. The roads didn't seem too busy, in fairness, but I don't mind bits of A road if I don't think I'm going to be slaughtered i.e. not the A65.

BTW, samid, I assume that being from Toronto you won't be phazed by midges. Us Sassenach poofs find that the Western Scottish midge is in a class of its own.

Yeah I have been to Eige and Rum in the inner Hebrides around July time a few years ago and the midges were shocking. Make your take a mosquito head net or you just get covered in bites.

Martin123

Hi

The outer hebrides is a magical place to cycle especially if your lucky enough to get good weather.

The are a lot of interesting historical sites like brochs, standing stones, castles and the black house village.

I think from what you said you are going to be cycling into a headwind for most of the way. My advice would be to cycle from south to north and cycle with the prevailing wind rather than against.

I can second the recommendation for the gatliff hostels (www.gatliff.org.uk), they are cheap, in traditional buildings and situated in stunning locations especially the one at Berneray right on the beach where you frequently see dolphins. There is a fantastic smokehouse on North Uist (www.hebrideansmokehouse.com) where you can stop and get a fantastic roadside lunch of peat smoked salmon, sea trout or maybe some scallops to cook up at the hostel when you get to Berneray. You could start with a ferry from Oban to Barra, camp on the beach near the airport and then get the ferry over to south uist, cycle through the Uist's and then ferry up to harris and then up to lewis.

Another tip is to be careful of the infamous scottish midge if you are going in the summer - I would recommend 'skin so soft' otherwise you may end up like a couple of cyclists I saw with maybe 50 or 60 bites per leg! They sell it on amazon.

Enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
samid

samid

Guru
Once more, many thanks for all the great info guys. I think I'll follow the advice of Martin123, get on a ferry from Oban to Barra, and go (hopefully, with the wind) North from there. BTW, got my plane tickets last night :biggrin: :wacko: :biggrin:

OP
OP
samid

samid

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
The Hopscotch tickets are really good for doing your sort of a tour, you used to be able to get them combined with rail tickets which was really handy, but not sure if you still can...
Wow, that's absolutely great, thanks A LOT! (I did see the calmac site before, checking out the ferry times and fares, but did not notice the "Hopscotch tickets"...)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Martin123 said:
Another tip is to be careful of the infamous scottish midge if you are going in the summer - I would recommend 'skin so soft' otherwise you may end up like a couple of cyclists I saw with maybe 50 or 60 bites per leg! They sell it on amazon.

What I've always wondered is how a country infested with the midge could come up with the kilt as its national dress.
Does this say something about the intelligence of your average scotsman, or are they all immune? ;)

Bodhbh

Guru
andrew_s said:
What I've always wondered is how a country infested with the midge could come up with the kilt as its national dress.
Does this say something about the intelligence of your average scotsman, or are they all immune? ;)
I think they're a relatively recent, man-made phenomenon - to do with the deforestation of the highlands or somesuch. Although don't know if they kilt came before or after the midge.

Also looking to visit in May/June, for a 7 day week. Was thinking to have a very relaxed schedule - 30-50miles a day and a couple of off days walking or whatever. Given that, is it enuff time to do the full south >> north route with island hopping or better to stick, with say Harris and Lewis? (no doubt will look properly at a map later but as the thread is here!).

Top Bottom