Outreach to motorists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John482

With all the friction we have with motorists maybe we should consider some kind of outreach. Say if cyclists were an aid to motorists in some way then motorists would see us as allies. Obviously we can forget those people who shout insults or make threatening moves with their cars etc. Those people aren't anyone's friends and should be taken off the road anyway. But, your average motorist is as rational as anyone else my guess is if some kind of symbiosis were worked out or just evolved things would smooth out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We do aid motorists.. everyday.. by cycling... if we didn't cycle then we would drive and there would be more cars on the road and therefore more jams.
So in that case, motorists should aid us by being more tolerant around cyclists.

snorri

Legendary Member
With all the friction we have with motorists......................................................... Obviously we can forget those people who shout insults or make threatening moves with their cars etc.
I'm unaware of all this friction, but if it exists, why would we "forget" about those causing it?
Are they not the ones we need to befriend?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As above I aid my fellow motorists by only driving when the task can’t be completed on foot or by bike. Most local stuff can be completed on a bike. If only more of my fellow motorists thought this way and only used the car where walking or cycling can‘t be used to complete some local errand. Eliminating all car journeys under 5 miles would be a start.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The bulk of us are also motorisits, so we'd merely be aiding ourselves. I like that.
Motorists often tell me to go help myself. At least, I think that's what they're saying. It's so hard to hear anything over their noisy engines.

More seriously, what does the opening poster think should be done in practice?

Drago

Legendary Member
I would suggest that the moment any normal motorist gets behind the wheel their psychology takes over and they become possessive, aggressive and completely irrational.

OP
OP
J

John482

I would suggest that the moment any normal motorist gets behind the wheel their psychology takes over and they become possessive, aggressive and completely irrational.
I think it's more like they become scared. Car crashes, being mutilated, dying all that plays on their mind at least at a sub conscious level and that makes them edgy. Not sure what value someone on a bike has to people in traffic other than what's been stated we cut down on the number of cars on the road. That helps but you still get the risk of bikes being hard to see, silent and very small. One bump from a car can be deadly if you're on a bike. Bike lanes or where ever possible bike routs separate from traffic would be ideal.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I think it's more like they become scared. Car crashes, being mutilated, dying all that plays on their mind at least at a sub conscious level and that makes them edgy.

Cars are remarkably good nowadays at protecting their occupants. It's the poor buggers outside that shell that drivers need to worry about.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
IMO motons become possessive, aggressive and completely irrational because they haven't allowed enough time for their journey.

Indeed. Sitting in snarled up traffic jams every day seeing cyclists make good progress.
Luckily here in Londonshire, car drivers seem to be more bike aware due to the sheer number of cyclists on the road.
We are also very lucky to have plenty of bus lanes, with many are now 24hr bus, black cab & cycle only.

Top Bottom