Outside pump and tool station - yes or no ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A non cyclist at work, one of the local bosses, has asked me if I could submit a case for getting a fixed pump and tool station installed near the bike shed. I've seen these occasionally at railway stations, a robust pump fixed in the ground with a variety of allen keys and other tools hanging off on cables.
Are these a good idea ? Do people actually use them ?
How much do they cost ? Are they worth it ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Would it encourage more of your colleagues to cycle to work?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's a good few around London, free standing and those put out by bike shops. Of course the location means they are probrably used quite regularly.

Having them is far better then not. Though not sure it would encourage more people to get on a bike.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As said above there are a number in Bristol and I know they occasionally get vandalised but they also subsequently get fixed afterwards. However it's good to know they are there especially for those cyclists who don't carry tools or only a limited supply. Some cyclists don't have a pump etc at home so once the tyre is flat it just languishes in a forgotten corner.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
got one outside work, and another at the office across the road (co-op head office in manchester). in my experience, you're better off just bringing a decent frame pump with you, and we're lucky that the security lodge has a track pump that can be borrowed in an emergency…

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm presuming you work for a private firm? Before doing anything i'd check the firms insurance liability gives cover for anyone using the tools against injuring themselves or damaging their bikes.

And because its a workplace and tools have the potential to cause injury PUWER regulations mean people only properly trained and/or competent can lawfully use them.

It's a great and seemingly simple idea, but I've been in charge of this thing for my ex employer and it's a 'mare when you get into it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm presuming you work for a private firm? Before doing anything i'd check the firms insurance liability gives cover for anyone using the tools against injuring themselves or damaging their bikes.

And because its a workplace and tools have the potential to cause injury PUWER regulations mean people only properly trained and/or competent can lawfully use them.

It's a great and seemingly simple idea, but I've been in charge of this thing for my ex employer and it's a 'mare when you get into it.
Yep, some people can't be trusted with anything,

View: https://youtu.be/FwBjLCAodLw

Top Bottom