Outsized boxes on National Express buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The only time I have taken a bike on NE coaches, it was refused because families wanted to load up the hold with holdalls full of TV and other Fast Moving Consumer Goods. I had a mad dash to the railway station to make my Stansted flight.

OP
OP
22camels

22camels

What makes me think the National Express option might just work out is that I will be boarding the airport coach at its first stop, I know there are usually only a few other passengers at that time of day, so space should not be an issue initially, and under normal circumstances there are no changes of coach (though possibly a change of driver) and it gets me straight to the airport with only 3-4 stops along the way. I get to pack the bike in the comfort of my own living room. And if I pack it well I don't see why it shouldn't resist some squashing stress..

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I'm on the coaches between Bristol and Heathrow pretty regularly. There is generally plenty of space in the hold, but also occasions where it gets packed. Don't think absolute certainty of carriage is possible. Getting on at the origin is good. If possible, also try and find a service terminating at Heathrow (not continuing to Gatwick).

For an extra £10 you can get a flexible ticket so you can switch to an hour later if the first driver doesn't let you on. That will work on the return as well.

My usual packing method for flying with bike is a soft bag but I do not want to take chances with this particular airline (I think they will only accept a boxed bike, not a bagged one).

ah, I see that you are an experienced bike traveller and have used "soft bags before" - I had assumed from your initial post and your extreme keeness on boxing from home that you were a first time traveller with a bike.

But what is this airline that only takes bikes in boxes? Sounds odd.

Have you considered a Ground Effect Tardis - a "soft bag" that packs to the size of an A4 pad but can be pretty well padded with various things. I have used one - packed the bike at home (yes, you are right you do need to allow a fair bit of time) then carried it along with two other bags (one a full sized hold bag) by myself - across central London by two London buses (ie: including a change), then on the airport bus. ie: All public transport, no cars or taxis involved. All went well. That airline was easyjet. The bike was an aluminium hybrid. No carbon I stress. There are loads of reasons why I want no carbon.

info on Tardis here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...es/product/review-ground-effect-tardis-31674/

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/search?q=tardis

Last edited:
OP
OP
22camels

22camels

Not that experienced but not a beginner - have flown about 10 times in Europe and a couple of times to and within Asia, in all cases using soft bag (except one when I bought a bike from central london and it came already boxed up) but this time I want to box it as I am then 100% certain they will accept it whereas with the bag I am going to have an uneasy feeling of will they won't they (even though most airlines will take bagged bikes, they respond much more confidently to the question "do you take a bike in a box" than "do you take a bike in a bag" as there are many types of bags e.g. plastic CTC bag which is often not accepted). Plus I think with a box, damage is less likely. The airline is Vietnam airlines who it seems have had a somewhat iffy reputation for carrying bikes in the past (charging extra etc.) however I think they are ok now and for this trip and I have visited their office in London personally to double check.

I don't want to spend anything on the bag as I will be throwing it away when I get there. I already have an old soft bag but as said above - I think I want to do box for this trip. Thanks for the tip though - I might try the Tardis some other time.

Last edited:
OK, Tardis can of course be re-used - and is so small that it can be carried on the bike on the actual trip - I have also heard of folk burying it near their return flight airport :smile:

All the best for your trip - will watch the thread with interest - do please report back on what you decide and how things go on the actual journey.

OP
OP
22camels

22camels

Thanks - I will let you know how it goes.

I've carried my soft bag with me on the bike before, it's only 1kg and quite compact but that is still a bit too much useless weight to be carrying around.. burying it of course is a good idea but I won't be flying back from the same airport..

classic33

Leg End Member
Any progress @22camels?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
22 camels. I have flown my bikes all over Europe and have never used a cardboard box. I make my bike bags out of spinnaker cloth which makes it as protective as a plastic bag and have never had a problem. I think the horror stories about bikes on planes are pretty rare compared to the number that get through unscathed. A lot of people use the CTC plastic bags. Just make sure you remove the waterbottles, pump, computer and anything else that can come loose.

When I get to my destination airport I set the bike up, Roll the bike bag up and ride off. I have boxed a bike up before for someone else and it is a 30 minute job.

Good post. Just one comment - someone who hasn't done it before steve maybe better allow more than 30 minutes. Best not to be rushed. I wouldn't pretend that packing the Tardis is a fast job - a tight fit so can be a semi struggle - but a great system. Should also stress that you need extra packing inside it such as cardboard, pipe lagging etc, clothes in protective (from grease/oil) plastic bags. Unlikely you could bury all the packing but you can obtain new packing for the flight back. Or of course leave stuff with friendly first night accommodation if you are coming back the same way.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes you are right Blue Hills. Pipe lagging is also a good idea and if you bin the box you can keep it with you for the return leg as it is light and easy to carry. Protecting the rear mech is also advisable.

This is a photo of my road bike packed up for a Winter in the loft. This is how I fly it as well. the only difference is that the pedals would be off and I would wrap it in a very thin elastic rope to give the handlers something to get hold of. The elastic rope is then also used for a washing line, for making shelters, fastening things to the bike etc, etc.

It is thin cloth but does the job. I make it bright so it is easy to see at airports. I dont know if the colour effects the handlers but the bikes turn up OK. I use the cover as a basemat for the tent and wash it when I get home.

002_zpsixrt3xl8.jpg

003_zpsemcwdhgx.jpg

Impressed, very. Great idea to then use it as tent base/groundsheet and of course it is advisable to use one with modern tents anyway so no extra weight. Rear mech i unscrew and fasten between rear triangle with zip ties - surprisingly easy to sort reindexing if you take photocopied instructions (and haven't fallen for the mega rear gears marketing spiel)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
We've to assume the coach ticket hasn't been booked yet. NX require 14 days notice if you're planning on taking a bike.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Rear mech i unscrew and fasten between rear triangle with zip ties - surprisingly easy to sort reindexing, if you take photocopied instructions
Since you're best leaving the cable attached to the RD when you tape it between seatstay and chainstay, no "re-indexing" should be required. When setting the bike up at the destination bus station/airport just screw the RD back into the hanger and it should be ready to go.

Top Bottom