Oval Chainrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ANT 666

Trying to re member
These oval rings go in and out of fashion, remember Bio-pace? you pays your money and makes your choice.But 99.9% of bikes are still on round toothy rings.
P.S. I did try bio-pace once (I'm not a luddite) did'nt think much of them ,felt very strange.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The guy at my local bike shop swears Rotor Q rings are great. I am not convinced, a bit of snakeoil imho. Saying that there are a few good testers who use them so who knows. As ANT 666 says 99.9% of bikes are fitted with round ones though.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I have Rotor Q rings on 2 of my bikes and normal round on the other 2. I do prefer the Q rings, for me I find they work best when your on an undulating piece of road and you have a good rhythm going. You seem to have a more fluid motion in your pedal stroke and cycling seems effortless.
I didn't get them on my latest bike as it was a classic steel, but if I was to get a modern bike again I would definitely get them without question.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I have Rotor Q rings on 2 of my bikes and normal round on the other 2. I do prefer the Q rings, for me I find they work best when your on an undulating piece of road and you have a good rhythm going. You seem to have a more fluid motion in your pedal stroke and cycling seems effortless.
I didn't get them on my latest bike as it was a classic steel, but if I was to get a modern bike again I would definitely get them without question.
So is it just the ease of pedaling that is different, do you find you are faster or able to maintain a higher cadence/speed for longer with them, do they help with climbing? My mate is banging on about getting some, he's convinced himself that it's the piece in his cycling jigsaw that is currently missing and that he will be quicker for longer if he fits some, he has however thought this about various gear combinations and groupsets and riding positions and stem lengths etc etc. Personally I think he'd be better off losing some weight and getting out and riding more but maybe I'm being old fashioned.

OP
OP
E

elmarni

Regular
I was just wondering whether using cheaper knock-offs would be 'dangerous', knee injuries and the such, or whether it is a great bargain?

Top Bottom