Ovalized headtube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tangoup51

So, after commuting home I realized my headset felt loose, Instead of just tightening it I thought to inspect it and take it apart altogether.

It all looked Okay but after reinstalling the sealed bearings (especially the top cup bearing) I noticed it was stiff and making a scraping sound.

It was stiff facing through 11 -1 'oclock but whenever the handle bars swung far enough right/left it became loose again.

I could not set up the headset without getting a "play" sensation when rocking the front brake only. - Unless i made it stiff.

I decided to inspect the top bearing cup; it's about 1,500 Miles worn (give/take)

I applied pressure to the bearing cup by sticking some plyers into the bearing and pried it outward as I span the bearings; this made them spin very nicely despite the lateral pressure

After doing that I put them back in my frame and them it all worked again. (No creaks from putting my weight on bars, no play and is spinning free with no obvious stiffness at any rotational point)

I did notice worrying that there was paint chips around the top of the headtube wear the bearing cup would be seated behind, Though the FSA top cap sits snug against the paint (as the paint is quite thick) and looks to of chewed the paint up around the top of the headtube, but could this mean ovalized?

I have yet to ride it after this set up, I've never been in a crash but it's only occured to me now that I tested headset play by holding both the front/rear brakes. - Not just the front one, which seems to have a differing effect?

What are your thoughts please?

** Edit

I just took the whole unit apart again and measured with my calipers.

My sealed bearing is 41.75mm all round equally with no deformation or damage.
But it turns out the headtube is ovalized - but not in the direction I was imagining.

There's an Average of 0.6mm oval but the oval points are facing left-right not front-back, it is a tapered headset so perhaps this isn't an issue bit it is both visible by eye and noticeable on the external diameters of the headtube. Was this manufacturing defect or rider error?

Last edited:

S-Express

I've never been in a crash but it's only occured to me now that I tested headset play by holding both the front/rear brakes. - Not just the front one, which seems to have a differing effect?

facepalm-ernie.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tangoup51

Upon hindsight I realized when I last serviced the bike I tightened the headset to a point where it was beginning to go stiff - Then backed it off just a little, so there would of been no play from my riding.

During all of my rides no obvious noises or odd feels came from the front end either. From that I suspect the shape given to the headtube wasn't caused by my riding but probably from manufacture, especially considering the shape couldn't be caused by riding with a loose headset.

It's not uncommon that some manufactures really don't have the most accurate bearing races in their frames, it'll often do the job but it's not going to be 100% accurate - But it can happen if you improperly install the bearings laterally which in my case wasn't going to happen since the bearings sit quite happily into their race with no obvious imperfections or resistance. (the sealed bearing itself remain Very true to their original dimensions aswell)

Never the less, the lateral-oval gap is eliminated when the taper is tightened to the correct amount, so, this is not a problem for now.

+1 for the picture above though :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom