Over cautious drivers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

I find it difficult to find the best compromise whilst out on the road...nearly got taken out on my usual 40miler today..

As a bit of background, I tend to cycle slighter further into the road than hug the curb; for several reasons:

a) Less shoot/potholes slightly in from the verge
b) Lets under cautious drivers know i'm there and not let them push through when there's no room.
c) Allows drivers to see me in plenty of time.

I feel I'm an extremely considerate rider, yes I probably cycle slightly further into road than curb huggers but I'll move over (if there's not potholes) when a car is behind me and give them loads of space. I always hold a hand in thanks if someone has accommodated me in some way; I'm just generally aware of other road users.

Anyway, the ones that really annoy me aren't the assertive "I'm coming past" drivers; it's the ones that will sit behind me for ages when there's loads of room and a totally clear road- itreally makes me uncomfortable. Someone did this today, for about half a mile!!!!!!! Then he came past on a blind corner, saw something was coming and turned straight in front of me (Luckily i'd seen the oncoming car before them and was able to slow right down and avoid collision).

Some things on the road absolutely astonish me...I can't believe they waited for so long and then did that when there was many MANY safe chances to pass (I'd move onto the while line as well).

:angry:- Anyway, winge over. Just a sort of reminder how stupid other road users can be- be safe guys.

C

Shaun

Founder
I tend to slow down - not because I want to, but because it usually encourages them to overtake you and gets rid of that "come on then!!!" feeling of having them stuck on your back wheel. ^_^

I don't necessarily worry about the car directly behind, but more that the ones behind him/her think I'm to blame for slowing them down.

Sometimes it's just best to give in and do what needs doing to clear the bottleneck than worry too much about the right and wrong of whom should be doing it. :thumbsup:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Liam
The positive thing from this is that you hold a hand up in thanks. I like to spread the love wether I'm in me car or on me bike.
Crap road users, if you can cure them I'll buy you a pint*

*but not at Cambridge prices.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I am out on my bike, I sometimes feel that there aren't any good drivers left! They either seem to scream past too close and cut in, or be too nervous to go by even when it is safe to do so and (as Shaun said) cause one of the nutty drivers further back to do a crazy overtake.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Liam
The positive thing from this is that you hold a hand up in thanks. I like to spread the love wether I'm in me car or on me bike.
Crap road users, if you can cure them I'll buy you a pint*

*but not at Cambridge prices.

I'm the same- it doesn't take any effort or time to thank someone for accommodating driving or letting you out or whatever it may be- a smile/acknowledgement of someones actions always makes my day better.

I definitely understand where both Shaun and Colin are coming from- perhaps I could take charge and slow down to make them pass but like Dave says; this shouldn't be necessary- it seems like the majority of drivers are pants.

C

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I understand how you feel. I too get anxious when someone stays behind me for too long when they could have overtaken before.
In this situation I normally do one of two things; speed up through the pinch point/oncoming cars, or move over to the left and wave the car through.

Recently, due to the winds, I have been speeding up. But on country roads and single track roads, I will wave the car through even if it would mean a close pass.
I am happy for someone to pass me too closely as long as I have instructed them to do so, because I am normally controlling the situation and the person takes extra care and appreciation when passing me.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi All,

I find it difficult to find the best compromise whilst out on the road...nearly got taken out on my usual 40miler today..

Anyway, the ones that really annoy me aren't the assertive "I'm coming past" drivers; it's the ones that will sit behind me for ages when there's loads of room and a totally clear road- itreally makes me uncomfortable. Someone did this today, for about half a mile!!!!!!! Then he came past on a blind corner, saw something was coming and turned straight in front of me (Luckily i'd seen the oncoming car before them and was able to slow right down and avoid collision).

Some things on the road absolutely astonish me...I can't believe they waited for so long and then did that when there was many MANY safe chances to pass (I'd move onto the while line as well).

:angry:- Anyway, winge over. Just a sort of reminder how stupid other road users can be- be safe guys.

C

It could have been a person who passed their test 3 hrs earlier not really having a clue as to what they were doing.
Maybe a well mature driver who had left his glasses at home.
A driver high on drugs.
A drunk driver.
A first time visitor to Earth encountering their first bicycle. (and driving their first Earth vehicle):eek:
Or, all of the above at once.^_^

Brandane

Legendary Member
It could have been a person who passed their test 3 hrs earlier not really having a clue as to what they were doing.
Maybe a well mature driver who had left his glasses at home.
A driver high on drugs.
A drunk driver.
A first time visitor to Earth encountering their first bicycle. (and driving their first Earth vehicle):eek:
Or, all of the above at once.^_^

If they drive as described, they shouldn't have passed the test!
You forgot another possibility: Could have been one of our many settlers from other European countries, who do not bother with such minor details as passing a driving test, or having a licence, insurance, MOT, road tax etc..

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'd rather they were over-cautious than complacent. In those sorts of situations I'll usually slow and wave them through. It's normally older people on country lanes.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
When I see drivers like that, I'm normally happy because they're (generally - not always) a bit safer than the impatient ones. I'll also wave them past when the road is sufficiently clear. I tend to do this a lot when riding up and down mountains, as the roads are typically very winding, so as soon as the road briefly straightens out, I'll wave past any motorists who might be behind me, and move a bit left to help them pass. I've had a few appreciative double short horn beeps for doing that, too.

RWright

Guru
I seem to notice that it is normally older drivers that stay behind too long and start making me nervous. Females seem to do it more than males also. I do appreciate the fact they are exercising care but I agree it can make for some tense moments not knowing when they will make a pass or even worse when the ones behind them that are in a hurry will.

I have one place there is a lane coming off a highway exit that merges into the route I am on. Because of the way the intersection is, I never know if they are going to go to the stop sign or stay in he merging lane on the road I am on. The merging lane is less than a quarter of a mile long. They see a bicycle in the lane they want to merge into and they freak out. I now just go fast into the situation and sometimes have to make a bold move to go across their lane. I always make sure they know I am watching them, I stare them down while I do it. I tried using hand signals but that had no effect. After I get across the merging lane and outside the white outside line they are fine, they have three lanes to work with. But each adventure to that spot has to be evaluated carefully each time as there are a couple of other intersections as I approach it.

Top Bottom