Over done it..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Yep, the problem is living in the hills, either straight up or down out of the door. I have been working up to it since August. When I first got the bike I could barely walk after a two mile trip! Also I think attempting two longer rides on consecutive days caused the problem. Am thinking about a turbo trainer so I can get some controlled exercise rather than riding uphill all the time.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
As a beginner, don't overlook the possibility that you are mashing too high of a gear. Try dropping a gear or two and spinning faster.

As far as wind goes...forget about speed and time, and just gear down and spin and enjoy the ride. You're not going to beat Mother Nature. Just learn to live with her. You'll get to your destination a few minutes later, and won't be worn out and sore. Make the speed runs in more favourable weather.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Cheers guys, I've ridden the flats. That was my first response to the pain. I think I have them almost set up now, just feels like I need to tweak the right one a little more angled and I'm defnitely not mashing big gears. In first adn spinning away merrily!

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Well the bloody right knee packed in again on me this afternoon dammit! Only twelve miles and low gears, oddly felt better when using a higher gear and slower cadence. Possibly just that my knee can't stand so much bending? Doesn't feel quite as bad as last time did so hoping that a lighter bike come spring and warmer weather will help me out. Depressing..:smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh sorry to hear that mate!!!

Once you're recovered, I think you need to do only 3-4 miles, and with significantly less power output. Maybe start with just 2 miles, and then see how your knee feels the next day, and that will tell you how much to do the next time. Your body has spoken and told you that what you did today was too much. That, or your bike setup is still wrong.

If I were in your position, I'd be paying for a private sports physiotherapist. Expensive, but you only get one body in this life so IMO it's well worth looking after. They should help you heal up more quickly, and may even give you the information you need to find out what is going wrong.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hello Chris sorry to hear about your knee problems.A friend of mine had a similar prob but found a slightly higher seat fixed it for him.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Knee problems can be intractable, so listen to what they tell you.

I notice in both of your reports, you've gone out on two consecutive days. Why? Sounds like you're ignoring your knees. Listen; they're telling you they need a rest.

The key is to stress your body, then rest so it can adapt.

You are at the very beginning of the adaptation process, so two days in a row are obviously too much, along with the hills. Now you are going to need some time off the bike which puts you back at square one. Some new cyclists repeat this frustrating process over and over, finally giving up and sometimes injuring themselves irreparably.

As others have noted, you need to address the biomechanical issues that are causing the problem, including cleat placement, saddle height and I'll bet you're pushing gears too big for your fitness level. What's your lowest gear?

You have guessed that your cleats are too far forward and moving them back is a start, though don't make one big move.

Refer to the bike fit page linked below (but please don't take seriously that ridiculous Grant Peterson article linked above, unless you do nothing more than ride to the shops). If you continue having problems, consider Speedplay pedals. These will give maximum float (especially X-series) and accommodate your natural gait.

This refers to the argument that broke out above. For many riders, more float alleviates the tendency for cleats to force them to assume an unnatural gait. For instance, I pedal heel in on the right. Forcing the heel out, as systems with less float do, causes me hip and knee problems, which were intractable for many years.

Think about it. Back in the old days we used to ride our leather soled shoes for a while, then mark across the quill pedal indentation and nail the cleats across the line, following our natural position.

Modern clipless systems, particularly early iterations, give no guide so it is easy to get things wrong unless you are very experienced. A couple of degrees of float and careful cleat adjustment are enough for some but I'd venture most riders need some kind of expert adjustment -- especially varus/valgus foot placement.

The final arbiter should be an experienced physio/fitter -- preferably one who knows cycling. A physio might also recommend some lateral stability exercises, such as squeezing a small football between your knees.

Good luck and happy cycling.

Hi Chris

Sorry you're having big problems with your right knee - the symptoms sound exactly the same as I had in my left knee.

Mine wasn't done with cycling but with intense stepping and cross training in the gym.....exact pain, exact area and apparently (according to my GP who's a bit of a legend and a nice bloke) - I'd strained the cruciate ligament - bit of an impact injury normally but it can manifest the way we've done it - either biking in your case or too much gym in my case.

His only solution (before being referred to the hospital for a scan) was COMPLETE rest from any exercise for 3 weeks.....he told me that in mid November and I reluctantly agreed to do it (I love doing my daily 2 hours in the gym and I felt like a lost soul without it).

Anyway - back to the present....I'm now back in the gym, back cycling again and gradually building things back up, so much so that I'm looking at a new bike for the spring and my gym fitness levels are coming back up again.

Perhaps complete rest might work for you mate, if not....go and see your GP, get referred for an MRI because you could be doing it more damage without realising it.

Keep us all informed on how things are going and if you want any advice on exercise that will strengthen your legs when you're ready to resume - feel free to PM me.

Chin up!

Mick

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Thanks All.

Much appreciated advice.
I've gone carefully through the bike setup info and now believe I have it and my cleats about right but have just found that according to Sheldon, my seat could be a little higher so have made an adjustment there.

Since the last injury I did rest the leg and started with two to four mile rides on the flattest bits in my lowest gears and gradually built up till last week I was able to go ten miles avoiding major hills and in perfect comfort so that I was convinced I'd cracked it.

I haven't ridden on consecutive days more than once, the first time I injured the knee but today I didn't do my stretches before going out and that might also have contributed.

I'm going to try and get an appointment to see the doc tomorrow and see if I can find out exactly what's hurting.

Have a look where your knee is at the top of the pedal rotation in respect to the top tube - If it is not almost brushing the TT then that might be putting a lot of stress on the knee.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Doc confirms that its my lateral collateral ligament that's sprained. Rest and physio for three weeks then gently does it again. Have ordered some speedplay pedals for the big day. Might not even be a contributory factor for all I know but worth a try judging by the numerous reviews of miraculous recovery from knee pain once fitted with them.
As a bonus he also suggested I have an op on the bunion I appear to have, referred me for physio on my dodgy shoulder and told me I have the beginnings of osteoarthritis in both hands. And the wife wonders why I don't like going to the quack!! ;)

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
BentMikey said:
I'm thinking that that's too much increase in mileage much too quickly. Usually one wouldn't do more than a 5% increase per week.
Ah, I'm a bit random in that respect. I go as far as I feel comfy with, or rather I did...problem was getting uncomfy so far from home!

Top Bottom