Over ride on Electric Assist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
With changes coming on the number of wheels covered, four wheels soon. I've set about gathering the parts to add a motor to a Brox.

Does the overide, limiting top speed, have to be in the electrical system, or can it be mechanical? As in the motor is fitted with a freewheel. Move faster than the motor on its own and it no longer provides any drive.

I've asked the DoT before, but four wheels were out of the system, and they were unable to say if a mechanical override(described above) wasn't legal.

Any ideas, anyone?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont know the answer but someone on Pedalecs UK will certainly know. They can also help you with any other questions about the build.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It depends on the kit/motor, with the 2 we've got (1 on Maz's Dawes the other on my Trike) the speed is limited electrically by the controller but the wheel is able to 'freewheel' to a higher speed. Our kits are not fitted with the auto-assist sensors though (the wiring is present but the crank sensor and assist level computer were not purchased but can still be fitted) and are only controlled by a thumb 'throttle' which I think helps contribute to the range as when assistance is not needed there is no drain on the battery.
The motors on ours are front wheel hub types and do not have any 'regenerative' facility.

The 15mph "CUTOUT" can be either electronic or mechanical BUT should not be able to be changed on the fly .
This is the part that people fall foul of
They should NOT be able to switch over and switch back whilst riding .

Pedelec sensors do increase the range as they are not as "thirsty" as throttle only systems .

The system I am using on the 20/20 gives 5 levels of pedal assist and the throttle .
The speed is software controller and can be set via its LCD display .

The ideal system on an overweight trike / quad would be something like the 2 speed e-hub as this would give a lower speed for hill climbing or by modifying a system and using a hub motor inboard and driving a set of gears thus the power will remain constant where the motor is running at its optimum speed and is geared down to give maximum power at the lower speed during hill climbs .
This would conserve power and make the system more efficient .

food for thought .
This system is being developed by a couple of forum members on The AZ website on a LWB voyageur " clone" and a folding touring tadpole .

regards emma

Top Bottom