Over Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
Well, after a couple of weeks of commuting for the first time in pouring rain every single day.... I still have a smile on my face but my shoes do have puddles in them. To make matters worse, they don't fully dry out by the morning even when they're stuffed with newspaper and under the radiator.

I am considering swapping to my road shoes and leaving my work shoes in my locker, and as such I'm looking at some covers.

I've found these: Amazon.co.uk

My road shoes are a UK 11, which if my calculations are correct (or the website I used) would mean I need a 46.5
The covers on Amazon are available in either 44-47 or 47-49. Does anyone have either any experience with shoe covers and would it be better for me to go for the upper boundary (44-47) or slightly bigger (47-49).

Thank you

screenman

Legendary Member
I always go larger as I hate fighting to get the things on. You could do like buy another pair of shoes, even second hand one's that way you could alternate the days to allow better drying time. I used to use 3 pairs for the same reason.

vickster

Legendary Member
The BBB ones seem to get the best feedback on here and in reviews :smile: I'd go bigger, overstretch them and I suspect the seams may give up more quickly

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Overshoes (shoe covers) make a big difference to comfort in bad weather. I have never found a pair that keep my feet totally dry in continuous heavy rain, but they can keep the bulk of the rain out. The biggest thing is that they stopping an icy wind freezing your feet.

I just ordered a pair of these overshoes from Chain Reaction Cycles. They have not arrived yet, so I can't tell you how good they are. I have UK size 10 feet and have gone for the L size. Size 11 would be the XL.

I agree about choosing larger rather smaller if your feet are borderline size. As mentioned above - they are easier to get on, less likely to be damaged by you over-stretching them, and less likely to impede circulation in your feet, which would make your feet colder.

zizou

Veteran
I had a pair of shimano ones (a different model though) and if i remember correctly i had to go up a size to get a pair that fitted (45 shoe size but had to get the XXL ones)

Berties

Fast and careful!
Sealskinz have a water proof over shoe out ,trialing a set at the moment,seem ok round the £30 mark,gore oxygen are a good bet but just wind proof,not been keen on shimano pro as don't fit my skinny shins,and water and muck get down

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Thanks for all the advice, I'll certainly go for a size bigger and on advice from Vickster and looking at other websites which have 'average' reviews on the Shimano covers I have found a pair of BBB covers.

BBB BWS-02B

47-48 shall hopefully fit ... and hopefully being "Heavy Duty" will ensure they stand up to the weather.

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Thanks for the link Vickster,

I thought they were waterproof however after reading those reviews it would appear not. I have to say I don't normally have a problem with cold feet so I don't think I'm going to need them to be thermal (although obviously it would be a positive) but providing they will keep my feet dry.

compo

Veteran
Well, after a couple of weeks of commuting for the first time in pouring rain every single day.... I still have a smile on my face but my shoes do have puddles in them. To make matters worse, they don't fully dry out by the morning even when they're stuffed with newspaper and under the radiator.

I am considering swapping to my road shoes and leaving my work shoes in my locker, and as such I'm looking at some covers.

I've found these: Amazon.co.uk

My road shoes are a UK 11, which if my calculations are correct (or the website I used) would mean I need a 46.5
The covers on Amazon are available in either 44-47 or 47-49. Does anyone have either any experience with shoe covers and would it be better for me to go for the upper boundary (44-47) or slightly bigger (47-49).

Thank you

I have a pair of BBB overshoes for a size 11/12. I bought them off someone on here a while back but didn't realise they are no good with toe clips. They are unworn and have been in the bottom of the wardrobe for a year or more. Yours free if you want them.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Thanks for the offer compo, I do appreciate it however I think I'm going to have to decline.

The other reason, in addition to the practical advantages, that I'm looking at them is because people keep asking about Christmas and so far I have no idea what I would like. :laugh: :santa:

Top Bottom