Overcoming fear of falling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schooner916

Hi
I recently bought a beautiful Motorbecane Bycycle. I straddle the first time went take off and immediately LOST MY BALANCE and down i went. Brusing my knee bady.

How do I overcome my fear of falling again!

vickster

Legendary Member
When did you last ride a bike?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd check the bike is set up vaguely correctly because if, for example the saddle is tipped so far down that you're sliding off, it will be very difficult to keep balance.

Then once I think it seems reasonably close, I'd try riding again, in low gears on a field or park of fairly flat softish grass at first... then if you fall, at least you should not bruise badly.

It's possible to get training wheels/stabilisers for adults. You could also borrow knee guards etc from any teenager you know who might be into MTBs or skateboarding, if the idea of a playing field or similar softer surface isn't enough.

Perhaps you just need to put the seat down low so you need to lift your feet from the ground to 'go', spread your feet apart to avoid the pedals and find a very gentle short downhill stretch (again, on a playing field or in a park) to use your new bike as a sort of 'balance bike', coasting along with no pedals for increasing distances until your balance is stable - and only then raise the saddle and use the pedals.

Good luck!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You’ll find that going too slowly increases your chances of going into a wobble and falling. You need to get a little speed up to help you balance.
You could lower the seat so that you can get your feet, at least the balls of your feet, on the ground. If pedalling is making you unbalanced try starting off on a small down slope.
Don't worry it will all come together after a while.

With adult learners I advise to:
Find an empty grassy area with a very gentle slope.
Wear long sleeved jacket and trousers.
Set the saddle a bit low.
First try some braking as you roll. ***Brace your arms***, push your weight back. Keep your feet out for balance and lean one way as you come to a stop. Do not leave this lesson for later. If you fail to brace the bike will stop but you wont.
Next try some pedalling as you roll. Ride in big swoopy curved, not a straight line. No one can ride in a straight line, not even experts.
As you feel yourself tipping use the steering to bring the wheel back under the bike. Steer into the tip. Bikes steer by balance and balance by steering.
If you fall over DO NOT reach out to break your fall with your hand. You may break your shoulder. Hold the bars, tuck your chin and elbows in and hit the grass with your shoulder and side in a rolling action. You wont hurt yourself on soft grass. Falling on a down slope is bettter than an up slope.

semakof

Be conscious you are on top of a two-wheel device. Then try to maintain your balance and pedal gently. Reduce the saddle according to your height. Do not use cleats for now. Practice on a grassy area or field. I had the same fright after falling off my bicycle but now its gone. Be optimistic and you will be fine.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Schooner hasn't been on since the end of July. I hope he/she is okay.

I think they rolled down a grass bank and over a sea cliff. Currently learning to swim.

Top Bottom