Overcompensation on indexed gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

Hi - I am wondering if other folks overcompensate (like you do with conventional road bikes) when shifting to an easier gear? For example sifting from 7 to 6 (with a gripshift) I tend to click - and a bit - almost to 5 but not to actually click it in and then relax the gripshift to drop the chain onto 6 from a little beyond.

The reason I ask this is that I am fettling my 7 speed gripshift gears at the moment and I find, in order to have the cable tight enough to shift up (easier gear) it ends up so tight that on shifting down (towards harder gear) the chain is slow to switch sprockets.

If I slacken the cable the chain will drop down nicely but then I find I have to overcompensate to get the chain to climb again.

There doesnt seem to be an even balance.

Some things I may try - new cable sleeves (the cables are not brand new but well settled and oiled), new derraileur, new gripshifts - in that order.

The indexing at Hi and Lo ends are ok (in my opinion).

Any suggestions?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
My SRAM gripshift seems to do this by default. The grip won't actually click in until you've pushed a little beyond the index, and when you let go it'll drop back a bit before locking in. My mate's shimano is a bit more picky, and he has to overshift manually.

The derailleur should want to pull down to the smallest sprocket, so if its no longer strong enough to tug on the cable, i suspect dirt in the mech, or fouling in the cable sleeves.

When did you last clean the hinges on the rear mech? Is it lubed?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Ivan Ardon said:
Gripshits are the work of Stan.

Maybe, but depends on the implementation. Mine have done 5k this year in all weathers without worry, whereas the bar end shifters on my 'sunday' bike rode through one tiny river, and got all stressed out.

GrasB

Veteran
Ivan Ardon said:
Gripshits are the work of Stan.
Say that with numb thumbs & trigger changers. I've seen people on long rides get caught in heavy showers & end up using the palm of their hand to shift down on the RD.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you haven't changed the cable outer at the rear derailleur in the last six months, it will be causing friction and giving you bad shifts. You'll be amazed at how bad it has become when you fit a new cable outer.

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Thanks RR - are you recommending this piece be swapped out every six months? Seems a short life but it may be the answer.

Top Bottom