Overhyped? Underwhelmed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSteev

I'm sure I can't be the only one that's finding this tournament lacking in something so far. OK, I'm not the biggest football fan but these are supposed to be the best players in the world and I'm still waiting to see any real spark or excitement.
I know that these are only the opening games of the groups and I expect teams to be a bit cagey but Italy v Paraguay almost sent me to sleep.

Anyone else less than impressed so far?

mangaman

It will improve

It's a truism that if you lose you're 1st group game you're in trouble as one more loss and you're out so teams are a bit cagey - especially the "big" teams.

It'll get better in the final group games/knockout bits (I hope :sad:)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
first round matches are often a bit dull, although I have to admit that I've only listened to one entertaining game.

The root of the problem is that there aren't that many sides with the skill or the will to entertain. Thus far......Ghana. Even Japan were boring.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Oh come on, South Korea were very entertaining and played in great spirit. Germany were fun, and Ghana were athletic and interesting. Sure there's been a lot of so-so, but you'll find similar complaints about the first matches in any World Cup of recent years.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Flying_Monkey said:
Oh come on, South Korea were very entertaining and played in great spirit. Germany were fun, and Ghana were athletic and interesting. Sure there's been a lot of so-so, but you'll find similar complaints about the first matches in any World Cup of recent years.
I thought Germany were only as good as very poor Australian team made them look (if you see what I mean).

Still, as you say, it can get better. It must get better.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
dellzeqq said:
I thought Germany were only as good as very poor Australian team made them look (if you see what I mean).

I agree - that's why I said 'fun' rather than 'good'! Especially because 'fun' is not something the British media likes to associate with Germany. :sad:

Funtboy

It's been a stuttering start, that's for sure. Tons more games to go so I'm not bothered. I think teams are just really well organised these days, even the shitty ones.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The real excitment starts with the knockout phase where you either win or you're on your way home.

Personally, I would like to see the competition increased to include 64 countries playing a straight knockout competion. The first round could be seeded to ensure the big guns don't eliminate each other, but after that an FA Cup style draw for every round.

There is an element of chance in knockout competions, but it would mean a team had to win every game to lift the trophy, unlike now where you could lose one and draw another and still qualify from the group. In theory it is even possible to lose two out of the first three and get to the second phase.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
It's the same as every World Cup, I am sure there are one or two exceptions but I can't remember any memorable 1st round games in world cups... as others have said its usually a last chance to bed in and play as a team for the bigger teams as they can usually lose/draw the first without too much stress,

Besides... no one wants to peak to soon!

Top Bottom