Overnight bike storage in Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Just starting to book places (b&bs, budget hotels) for our summer trip and I've had two issues so far with bike storage - one says they can't store them, the other wants to charge us 7 euros/bike. I've never known anything like it - anyone had a similar experience?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just starting to book places (b&bs, budget hotels) for our summer trip and I've had two issues so far with bike storage - one says they can't store them, the other wants to charge us 7 euros/bike. I've never known anything like it - anyone had a similar experience?
I've not tried Italy yet, but I remember being charged something like €11 for a parking space in Germany. They didn't care if it was a car, a bike or a dozen bikes for the same price. I also remember one place in Flanders wanted to charge a similar amount for a garage, with a similar not-caring-how-many.

In my experience, hostels with hire bikes are most likely to include free secure bike-specific parking and chains are least likely to have proper parking but more likely to let you take the bike to the room. But you can never tell: the nice Apollo Hotel Breda had the best city hotel bike parking so far, in a covered bike shed out behind a locked gate with access controlled by reception.

Cycle parking really should be listed on accommodation websites if anywhere is serious about less damaging tourism. It's just started to appear lately on some booking.com listings under a "Sustainable" heading (because it would be too easy to list it under "Parking") but then you're using booking.com with all the controversies about it.

The lady who wanted to charge me 21 euros (to park in a neighbour's garage, she wasn't charging us herself) has now organised it for our bikes to stay with the parish priest in his house. I rather love this Italian solution.

I agree... it would be great to be able to filter by bike storage on booking websites.

What a wonderful solution! Your bikes will be blessed! ^_^

Yes, I agree that such a filter would be very helpful and I have always used the "contact host" option to enquire in advance. Sometimes, their idea of "bike storage" didn't quite match mine so I have learned, the hard way, to try to be as specific as possible. Of course, you'll have three bikes so that's trickier.

I believe the "Accommodation" option on CycleTravel highlights bike friendly accommodation.

Top Bottom