Overshoes which won't shred

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

Hello, I have some SPD cycling shoes with a rubber tread so that you can do a little walking in them too.
I can't afford a pair of winter boots but I've had success with using wool socks and overshoes in the winter.

My question is:
Can I get overshoes which don't go right under my shoe? So that when I put my foot down the sole touches the floor and the overshoe doesn't get shredded.
Alternatively, is anyone aware of a way to put overshoes on or cut them down (I can sow) in such that they sit just above the sole of the shoe, protected the sides and top but not getting shredded between the shoe and the ground?
As far as I can tell the shredding effect is the only majour drawback to overshoes.

Thanks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Any overshoe with a fabric/elastic strap under an SPD sole is doomed to die. I have bought £25 ones in the past. None of them lasted more than four 70 mile rides in the wet before getting seriously damaged.

Oh yes, and they don't keep your feet dry even when they are brand-new. Utterly useless bits of junk.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

I don't walk in them, exept for a few steps, but they get shredded from the cumulative effect of putting my foot down at stops. I'm going to try a hack by cutting and sewing my old pair up but it's starting to look like I'll have to shell out for boots (I've just started uni so I'm trying to be frugal).

Top Bottom