Overshoes - Worst bit of cycling kit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Don't like them at all. Bought some Gortex cycling boots instead. Found them loads better.

Tom B

Guru
+1 for winter booties

But...

I do have some over shoes, given to me because their previous owner thought they was tatty. I use them in the wettest coldest commutes. The walking I do is limited but I'd expect them to last 5years like my previous pair of dhb neoprene overshoes.

I think you have to just accept they're going to get a bit manky and tatty. But as long as the upper is good, who cares.

Last edited:

Rhysito

My Gore Thermal overshoes have lasted two years - if they are positioned well there is no reason why they shouldn't last a fair time

Slioch

Guru
I've been using these from PlanetX for the last few years. At £10 they're not going to break the bank, and I've been getting around a couple of winters use out of them before they need replacing.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm another using the £10 PlanetX overshoes. Mine are on their second winter. My feet stay dry when it's damp and drizzly, when it's heavy rain my feet eventually get wet but remain warm.

I'm considering moving to these winter boots from Fizik. I've tried a couple of sizes and my LBS have ordered in another for me to try. I think they will be very good but I'm struggling with the idea of spending so much.

Fizik R5 Artica Road Shoes https://g.co/kgs/2FBdao

download.jpeg

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My BBB Waterflex have lasted for about 5 or 6 years. They are coming to the end of their natural life now but have been top notch and didn't break the bank.

Yes the tearing of the bottoms is a problem, even if you are careful about not walking much in them. I'm shameless though - i duct tape the bottoms. They are practical - not fashion items - and folk aren't in the habit of staring at my feet, especially in pouring rain. I have several pairs, in varying degrees of disintegration. Can't remember when I last chucked any.

Top Bottom