Overshoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi all, I have searched this section but most results are years old.

I'm a roadie but due to having very broad feet use SPDs and MTB shoes. I'm looking for recommendations for overshoes, especially some which aren't a full work out to put on!!!!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
In the same boat. I don’t normally get more than a couple if season’s from my Sealskins.

If that fails and you can’t get them on, there are loads of yoga videos on YouTube.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I used to use BBB Hardwear waterproof overshoes for commuting with MTB shoes. Worked well and waterproof. As I no longer commute/only ride off road, I moved to Winter boots as the overshoes were getting trashed when you have to 'walk'.
This^^^^

Snug fitting thick neoprene and do the job well for commuting and long road rides but do suffer when walking (as do all overshoes I guess?). 1 set lasted me approx. 5yrs and now on my second pair. Reasonably priced for what you get and how they perform IMO.

They are snug though, so may not tick the box for being easy to get on if that is a priority, but I guess that depends on how tight you size them and what shoes you are trying to slip them over...….

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
All of the overshoes that I have used had zip or velcro fasteners at the back so they were easy to pull on. All of the zips eventually failed though, usually because I forgot to clean the the overshoes after salty winter rides and the zips corroded. I think the velcro-closure type are more reliable and a small amount of adjustment in size is possible by closing the velcro tighter or looser.

lane

Veteran
An alternative is to get some waterproof winter cycling shoes. More expensive initially but will last longer and in many respects work better.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
An alternative is to get some waterproof winter cycling shoes. More expensive initially but will last longer and in many respects work better.
Not sure what shoes you are using? My 'waterproof' shoes (Shimano Goretex lined MTB shoe) are good but, I suspect like many others, has a huge flaw. The bloomin big hole where you put your foot in. Unless you get a shoe with a snug neoprene cuff around the ankle you will just suffer with mini paddling pools on your feet, regardless of how waterproof your shoes are because the water will always run down your legs and into the shoe interior. Even with cuffs I suspect this will still happen in really miserable conditions because it certainly can do even with close fitting neoprene overshoes.

You have two choices. Either put up with wet feet, not too bad providing it isn't also cold, or wear overshoes with waterproof trousers over the top.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I get the whole winter boots idea, but my feet get hot soon. In winter I like my overshoes early morning and in the evening, but take them off near lunch time.

Do you overheat in winter boots?

lane

Veteran
Not sure what shoes you are using? My 'waterproof' shoes (Shimano Goretex lined MTB shoe) are good but, I suspect like many others, has a huge flaw. The bloomin big hole where you put your foot in. Unless you get a shoe with a snug neoprene cuff around the ankle you will just suffer with mini paddling pools on your feet, regardless of how waterproof your shoes are because the water will always run down your legs and into the shoe interior. Even with cuffs I suspect this will still happen in really miserable conditions because it certainly can do even with close fitting neoprene overshoes.

You have two choices. Either put up with wet feet, not too bad providing it isn't also cold, or wear overshoes with waterproof trousers over the top.

Mine are Shimano cycling boots or somesuch. I can't say that I recall suffering from this issue. Personally I just never got on with overshoes. I don't get this problem when I am out all day in the rain in walking boots so why would I in cycling boots?

I get the whole winter boots idea, but my feet get hot soon. In winter I like my overshoes early morning and in the evening, but take them off near lunch time.

Do you overheat in winter boots?

I primarily purchased them to keep my feet warm in winter. On long rides on cold days my feet went numb. They certainly solved that problem. I guess on wet but warm days they might be too warm.

I recently spent several hours riding in torential rain on a not particularly cold day. So could have potentially answered both your questions - but unfortunately wasn't wearing them. I certainly had wet feet with my normal shoes.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to use BBB Hardwear waterproof overshoes for commuting with MTB shoes. Worked well and waterproof. As I no longer commute/only ride off road, I moved to Winter boots as the overshoes were getting trashed when you have to 'walk'.

Thats the problem, road shoes work well mtb not so good.

I do the winter boot thing for spd, northwave Celsius are rather warm and keep you dry unless you go sailing!! But with sealskinz on your covered for even that

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thats the problem, road shoes work well mtb not so good.

I do the winter boot thing for spd, northwave Celsius are rather warm and keep you dry unless you go sailing!! But with sealskinz on your covered for even that

Its mainly keeping the shoe dry. Got some waterproof socks but might also try a cut down MTB tube over the top of cuff on the winter boots in really bad weather. Hate it when they get damp as they stink.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Its mainly keeping the shoe dry. Got some waterproof socks but might also try a cut down MTB tube over the top of cuff on the winter boots in really bad weather. Hate it when they get damp as they stink.

My giro terraduro shoes are a bit stinky, been trying all sorts to freshen them.
Note to self ,dont ride through flooded cycle ways ...

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have used overshoes for years but have decided for the first time, that I will give Northwave Winter boots a go this year. Regardless which overshoes you buy. They are always a faff in one shape or another.

Top Bottom