Overshoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darthpaul

On my commute today I misjudged the depth of a puddle and hence had wet feet! Thinking I will get some overshoes but know nothing about them, can anyone give me advice?

Wooliferkins

Overshoes will not keep everything out as they have a big hole where you foot goes in. In heavy rain or a long time in rain there will be ingress down your leg. You need to take your riding shoes into consideration many road overshoes will not fit over MTB/touring shoes. There are varying thicknesses and materials. On the whole you can split it down to neoprene shoes which can be thick which are waterproof and warm but a bit bulky, or waterproof material with a fleece backing. My first pair are the neoprene type great in the winter but little foot saunas in warmer weather. My thinner ones while not wearing as well are waterproof and usable in warmer temps.

biffosbats

Bought some overshoes last winter as had really really numb feet - almost fell over after about an hour's cycling when everything but my tootsies were warm! Not really tried them in wet weather, altho the ones I have (altura overshoes) definitely improve insulation. I am shoe size 5 and 'small' o/shoes fit me fine - got mine from Cycle Express off the web - about £15 including postage and a very quick delivery time. Check their website for current prices, but I have used them for a few things over time and they have always been very fast and efficient!!

BTW overshoes def provide better wind protection and warmth than 2 pairs of sox!!

Biffosbats

Thoroughly recommend them in the wet months (that's means all thro' the year if you live up north).
Have a roadie colleague who has been cycling for years and thought shoe covers and armwarmers were for poofs but even as a newbie I've converted him to both (armwarmers and shoe covers - not poofs).

Do the usual on-line search of the favourites (Merlin cycles, wiggle, PBK, etc.). Especially recommend you read the reviewers comments (see wiggle for example). BBB do some good ones around the £20 mark.

Generally the neoprene ones will keep most of the water out (and feet warm and shoes clean!). The warmer weather presents a slightly different challenge as these will generally make your feet far too warm. You'll need to resort to lighter weight versions - or just put up with wet feet.

As an alternative you can go down the line of waterproof socks (see Sealskinz). My problem was once they filled with water (running down my legs (which couldn't escape - as they're waterproof!) and when I got of the bike and took my shoes off it looked like I had two club feet! - with a bucket of water emptied out of both.

andyhunter

assos neoprene overshoes are the dogs balls brillant keeps you feet warm and toasty on feezing wet/cold/snow conditions and no water allowed in even in a doonpour as well worth the expensive money.

AlanW

Guru
andyhunter said:
assos neoprene overshoes are the dogs balls brillant keeps you feet warm and toasty on feezing wet/cold/snow conditions and no water allowed in even in a doonpour as well worth the expensive money.

While I agree that they do keep your feet really warm, there is however a basic flaw in the design.

If you have to do even the smallest amount of walking in them, then you'll wear a hole (or two) where the overshoe material comes into contact with the floor.

The only walking I do in mine, is from the house to the integral garage, then just a few yards when I get to work. But within two weeks I had two tiny holes underneath. :biggrin:

If only they would have reinforced this area then they would be an excellent, but at £50 a pair........:biggrin:

So based on that, the Endura ones get my vote, even if they do look like sawn off wellingtons!:biggrin:

andyhunter

AlanW said:
While I agree that they do keep your feet really warm, there is however a basic flaw in the design.

If you have to do even the smallest amount of walking in them, then you'll wear a hole (or two) where the overshoe material comes into contact with the floor.

The only walking I do in mine, is from the house to the integral garage, then just a few yards when I get to work. But within two weeks I had two tiny holes underneath. :laugh:

If only they would have reinforced this area then they would be an excellent, but at £50 a pair........:bravo:

So based on that, the Endura ones get my vote, even if they do look like sawn off wellingtons!;)

no flaw for me, just need to take the time and effort to insure fitted correct for the hole for the cleat and also the heel which to make sure it is on right to mimise wear and tear, i have to stop at lights at different times in training loops and always walk about to bike at races and currently no holes or anything yet. true you would think the design would be altered so it is extra tought around the heel and underside area but i think they will improve im future models as no point making a product amazing the first time as how are you suppose to make it better the second time and increase and improve sales :biggrin:.

Fab Foodie said:
Endura Neoprene. Think Chain Reaction Cycles were knoocking them out for about £22.
Excellent warmth.

Wot I like about these is (apart from keeping the elements at bay) is they fit very snug and look sleek. I wrote a pair off when i came off my bike in a bad crash and replaced them with some H2O pros - which are very good except not so tight and tend to have a slight bulge above the toes which rises to a slight peak. Consequently i look like a fecking smurf!!

Top Bottom