Overshoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farky

Hello all,

Last year I bought some DMT overshoes and I really liked the fit but they weren't as waterproof as I would like so am looking to replace them for this autumn/winter. I'm after a snug fit (not too bulky like some of the Altura versions) and waterproof pair with not too much concern for windproof as I have decent socks. Any thoughts? No real budget and would pay a little extra if they're the right shoe and would last a couple of winters.

Thanks in advance for you help/opinions.

p.s. I thought about the Castelli Diluvio? Does anyone know if they're any good?

Peter10

I would like a reply to this too. If you do recommend one, please mention if you need to add a size or two on the make. I have seen a few reviews where people had to buy a few sizes bigger than the advertisement states.

- Baz -

In a similar situation to you, but my researches on CC and elsewhere have convinced me that overshoes will not be waterproof, no matter how much you pay. It seems they are OK at keeping the cold out, though.

Based on this, I'm gonna pass on overshoes and, if pushed, maybe use the guaranteed dry feet method of a couple of plastic bags. They won't show, and also cheaper!

Sorry I can't be more help, but reading most of the comments has convinced me that overshoes seem expensive for what you get and aren't really that much cop...

Unless someone knows any different?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BBB Hardware - Aquashield.......... Had them a year, most excellent as they have a PU coating. In heavy rain I use waterproof trousers to stop water running in the top of the overshoe. Light rain, not necessary.

e-rider

crappy member
yes, the biggest problem with keeping your feet dry is water runing down the top of the overshoe - unless you have waterproof trousers over the top it's quite hard to prevent

LizardEye

Altura do ones that certainly look like theyll be waterproof - neoprene with a smooth rubber surface. About 30 quid. Never used them tho. Like you I've been let down by claims to be waterproof which haven't been. Can't be that difficult surely.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The PU ones work up to an extent. Combined with waterproof pants, then that stops the water entering via your bib tights and soaking in.

TBH, main reason is it stops my shoes getting wet, then the pain of drying them, then the horrible musty smell......

Since using these, even in the torrential downpours (with waterproof pants) they haven't let water in.

OP
OP
Farky

Farky

Considering you're asking for one without the other, I'd say that was relevant, but muddle along as you please

Just to be pedantic; I think you need to read my original post again and pay attention rather than post a pointless reply as I'm not sure where you're reading I am asking for one without the other? I think you'll find I'm merely stating I'm not 'to concerned' about windproof and the reason I say that is because when I see overshoes advertised as windproof, they seem to be very big, bulky and not particularly tight around the ankle/shin which is where a lot of water comes in.

I can see why you've made so many posts but do question how many are actually helpful... DH!

Top Bottom