Overtaking parked cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Okay, technically he was in the wrong as he had no way of knowing that he could complete his manoeuvre without meeting oncoming traffic. However, he saw the opportunity to pass the bus, the road was already blocked by the first overtaker and he knew that any oncoming would have to stop anyway.
Technically wrong according to the HC, but would I have done the same in his position? Heh heh heh, you really have to ask? :evil:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
domtyler said:
...the road was already blocked by the first overtaker and he knew that any oncoming would have to stop anyway.
So the one behind him can use the same logic and proceed, and the one after him, oh and the one behind him as well... ad infinitum

Twats! (pardon my French).

Dont you just stop or be prepared.

I had the same situation on my 1am commute back from work (last night)although it involved roadworks and a car and temporary traffic lights at which a car didn't bother stopping at,at Leyton tube station so obviously I had to stop to let him pass.

I wonder where he got this lets not bother stopping at traffic lights habit because nothing will be done lark.

gbb

Legendary Member
IMO, theres no easy answer to this one.
The second car behaved poorly in squeezing through...BUT had already begun overtaking the bus, albeit JUST, as you approached, forcing you to stop... before you even drew level with same bus.

I suspect, because of the first car, he/she probably didnt even see you.

That in itself is not an excuse. Personally, i think it showed an even more cavalier attitude by the driver....what if a child had just got off the bus ? What if that child had walked in front of the parked bus ?

But...regardless of that, he/she had almost completed the overtake as you arrived.

gbb

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
It's not my video mate.

Yes, :evil: i see now....

My thoughts however are the same....driver was cavalier in attitude in overtaking the bus, but as a car driver as well, i accept there are times when a little give and take is the order of the day...you cant always plough on regardless, even if you have 'right of way'.

I'm talking here as if i were the cyclist in the video.
Had i gone past the front of the bus, and the driver continued his manoever, he would be absolutely wrong.
But 'i' hadnt even reached the front of the bus when the driver was almost past the bus...you could argue he had right of way.

If i were a car driver in the cyclists position, i would have slowed down, allowed the driver through.....and NEVER though another second about it.

I think as cyclists our sense of 'injustice' done against us is heightened because of our percieved or real vulnerability. I dont see anything 'outrageous' in the video....simply one road user temporarily holding up another. It happens every second of every day, all over the country. Nothing to lose any sleep over.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOLOLOL EMD!!!

This person's videos do seem to take things a little too far in terms of proving a point, IMO. I'd agree, better to give and take a little more in practice.

neslon

bonj said:
It might be sheer pedantry, but I was taught when learning to drive that "right of way" is a crass term as it implies a concept that doesn't exist - .

Many years ago, I was a passenger in a motor-rickshaw going through the insane traffic carnage that is usual in Delhi. I asked the driver, as we entered a roundabout (on the wrong side) who had right of way. "You must realise Sir", he said "right of way is not an absolute, it is a state of mind"

Makes you think....

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
neslon said:
Many years ago, I was a passenger in a motor-rickshaw going through the insane traffic carnage that is usual in Delhi. I asked the driver, as we entered a roundabout (on the wrong side) who had right of way. "You must realise Sir", he said "right of way is not an absolute, it is a state of mind"

Makes you think....
Now that was funny, I may even use it as my signature now !

Top Bottom